Koran scriptures being read on opening day of 113th Congress

jcoosi

[quote name="DaddyO" post="876475" timestamp="1357399844"]Christianity teaches that they are not the same God; therefore, Allah is a false god according to Christian doctrine.[/quote] Not according to them though. How would it be different if Romney had of won the Presidency, since he is a Mormon? Lotta folks don't consider Mormons to be true Christians although they do.
Not according to them though. How would it be different if Romney had of won the Presidency, since he is a Mormon? Lotta folks don't consider Mormons to be true Christians although they do.

God told Abraham that His name was Jehovah, not Allah.

It's not for me to judge whether someone else is a Christian or not. That is between him and his maker. I do not doubt that Romney walks the walk of his faith.

Evangelical Christians and Mormons have much more in common with one another than either have with Muslims.

[quote name="DaddyO" post="876516" timestamp="1357402896"]God told Abraham that His name was Jehovah, not Allah.   It's not for me to judge whether someone else is a Christian or not. That is between him and his maker. I do not doubt that Romney walks the walk of his faith.   Evangelical Christians and Mormons have much more in common with one another than either have with Muslims.[/quote] But is one's closeness to the religious beliefs of the founding fathers a measurable thing which should deny or grant access to public office? Certainly not in the home of the free. So why would/should someone who does not believe in Christianity swear an oath on a book that means absolutely nothing to them?
But is one's closeness to the religious beliefs of the founding fathers a measurable thing which should deny or grant access to public office? Certainly not in the home of the free. So why would/should someone who does not believe in Christianity swear an oath on a book that means absolutely nothing to them?

No, as long as they adhere to the principles stated in the Constitution. Of course, that would preclude all of the sewer rats we currently hold public office. 

Are the teachings of the Koran consistent with what the founders envisioned? As long as it promotes lying to "infidels", and instituting sharia law, then it is inappropriate.

Why is it OK to offend Christians, but not people of other faiths, especially Muslims?

Edited by DaddyO

It's ok to offend them all, hence the first amendment.  It's the hypocrisy of most Christian's that kills many of us.

Are the teachings of the Koran consistent with what the founders envisioned?  As long as it promotes lying to "infidels", and instituting sharia law, then it is inappropriate.

Does this also apply to Christians who oppose recognition of gay marriage or abortion as inappropriate since it is against their religion?  I don't see a difference?  Maybe Christians and Muslims have more in common than I thought.

Edited by Hozzie

No, as long as they adhere to the principles stated in the Constitution. Of course, that would preclude all of the sewer rats we currently hold public office.

Are the teachings of the Koran consistent with what the founders envisioned? As long as it promotes lying to "infidels", and instituting sharia law, then it is inappropriate.

Why is it OK to offend Christians, but not people of other faiths, especially Muslims?

I'm an equal opportunity offender, so it is no more offensive to me for a Christian to swear an oath on the Bible than it is for a Muslim swearing an oath on the Quran. It's their business what they believe in, and swearing such an oath before whatever God they believe is what I suppose is the intent of the whole ceremony in the first place. It would be meaningless for a Christian to swear an oath on the Quran and vice versa, wouldn't you agree?

At any rate, I have stood before Muslim courts on several occasions and swore in as a witness with my hand on the Bible. It didn't seem to bother them, probably since they were the ones that produced the Bible. I don't see why it should be any different in a place that has a Constitution which acknowledges certain God given rights. It doesn't seem logical to think otherwise. Edited by TMF
Guest ThePunisher
Muslims don't hold faith in the Constitution. They want to replace our Constitution that acknowledges God given rights with Sharia law that would behead any infidel that would not bow down and profess allegiance to their Islamic faith. We don't have to worry about any foreign invasion destroying our nation, the enemy is already within our boundaries, and has infiltrated into our government and institutions. It's just a matter of time before stupidity has dumbed down our whole country.
[quote name="ThePunisher" post="877111" timestamp="1357451023"]Muslims don't hold faith in the Constitution. They want to replace our Constitution that acknowledges God given rights with Sharia law that would behead any infidel that would not bow down and profess allegiance to their Islamic faith. We don't have to worry about any foreign invasion destroying our nation, the enemy is already within our boundaries, and has infiltrated into our government and institutions. It's just a matter of time before stupidity has dumbed down our whole country.[/quote] Let's go ahead and put that broad brush back where ya got it from. All the Americans of Muslim faith I knew voted for Bush, hated liberals and some of them traded lead with our enemies. I'd place them in a category high above that of the average American, not on account of their faith, but the content if their character and belief in the principles of freedom this country was founded on.
Guest ThePunisher
[quote name="TMF" post="877114" timestamp="1357451360"]Let's go ahead and put that broad brush back where ya got it from. All the Americans of Muslim faith I knew voted for Bush, hated liberals and some of them traded lead with our enemies. I'd place them in a category high above that of the average American, not on account of their faith, but the content if their character and belief in the principles of freedom this country was founded on.[/quote] I would highly doubt their belief in the Judeo-Christian principles of freedom this country was founded on.
[quote name="ThePunisher" post="877117" timestamp="1357451597"]I would highly doubt their belief in the Judeo-Christian principles of freedom this country was founded on.[/quote] You have to believe in the Old and New Testament in order to believe in the Constitution? I didn't see that in the fine print.
[quote name="DaddyO" post="877152" timestamp="1357472766"]I don't understand why people refuse to believe that our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. It is a known fact from their writings that many of the founders were deists.   Why is that so hard to accept?[/quote] I'll accept it just fine. I just don't think it is an exclusionary clause. Perhaps if it was they would have put an amendment in there that specified that these freedoms only apply to those that believe that Christ is their savior. I refuse to believe it was implied.
  • Like 1

I'll accept it just fine. I just don't think it is an exclusionary clause. Perhaps if it was they would have put an amendment in there that specified that these freedoms only apply to those that believe that Christ is their savior. I refuse to believe it was implied.

I don't believe it is implied either. I do believe that the muslim population in general presents a very real threat to our way of life because of what their faith teaches about other faiths.

They have already tried to institute sharia in parts of Europe.

I don't believe it is implied either. I do believe that the muslim population in general presents a very real threat to our way of life because of what their faith teaches about other faiths.

They have already tried to institute sharia in parts of Europe.

The numbers here don't reflect that. I get what you're saying about Europe. They dug their own grave in that respect, but if we accelerate the timeline in regards to immigration, we simply don't have a large volume of Muslims coming in to matter. Places like Dearborn exist because they have consolidated to maintain familiar surroundings, but that is no different than Chinatown in every major city in America. For every one Muslim that immigrates to this country there are a hundred Catholics spilling over the border to the south, so we should be more concerned with the mackarel snappers subjecting us under the rule of the Vatican before we worry about Muhammed telling our daughters to cover their faces. Edited by TMF
[quote name="DaddyO" post="877163" timestamp="1357474899"]Maybe they should be sworn in using something other than any type of religious text.[/quote] Like the Constitution perhaps. But then again, although that document is just shy of holy, I don't believe it means much to most of them. A man's word isn't valued as it was 200 years ago either. Really the oath they take should be bound by law, so in the likely event they violate their oath the criminal implications should be severe, but as is evident, we can't expect punishment of our leaders when the inmates are running the asylum. This post made me sad.