Embarrassed myself on the trap field today...

Guest Len

Any clay target shooters out there?

Spent a nice couple of hours at TN Clay Target Complex in Nashville with a shooting buddy and his kid today. (www.tnclay.com)

The wind was blowing hard across the trap & skeet fields, I brought a new shotgun I had literally never shot before, and it was only my first time shooting skeet. (I've done trap a few times.) Needless to say, the forces were conspiring against me. Aquitted myself decently on the skeet range, but could not get used to the new gun to save my life over on the trap side.

My friend Ray's little girl kept score (she even created a neat score sheet on Excel), but there was no need - he whupped me good on trap, although I eeked out a victory on skeet.

Lessons learned:

1) Wind does funny things to clay and shot

2) My arms are too short for my Mossberg 535. (Or the Mossy's stock was too long.) A slightly lighter, shorter semi-auto would suit me better.

3) Bring more ammo than you think you'll use, because its EXPENSIVE at the club!!

4) Not many shotgun shooters at the club during turkey season.

Even though many a clay was left unscathed by my #8 shot, a fun day had by all.

-Len

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while... Mainly skeet, recreationally. I've never shot trap.

I sold off the 2 shotguns which I used to shoot with, a Mossburg 500 12ga and a Charles Daly 20ga semi-auto... Lost interest I suppose, mainly because I hated to drive so far to shoot. I'm closer to a range now, and I'm sure that I'll get back into it... it's just low on my priority list at the moment.

It is fun, for sure!

Any clay target shooters out there?

Spent a nice couple of hours at TN Clay Target Complex in Nashville with a shooting buddy and his kid today. (www.tnclay.com)

I've shot a good bit of trap out there. I like shooting trap. I am a horrible skeet shooter. I'm just not quick enough.

I've done the sporting clays course out there as well. Their course isn't much to look at visually, but it's a nice change of pace.

So it would seem...

My buddy spent several minutes converting his shooty from "tactical" to "sporting" configuration. Delete pistol grip, switch barrel from 18" to 26", apply proper choke, remove side-saddle shot holder, take off tac light, remove sling, etc...

Not much meaner looking that a 12 guage pump in tactical garb...

That something you do with one of those shotgun things? :)

I've just never gotten into trap or skeet shooting. No reason. Just haven't.

I have a semi-tacticool shotgun. Basically a Mossberg 500 with grip and shorter barrel. No lights or other gadgets. Also have the longer barrel and standard stock for it for when reality sets in and I want to blast some BGs with feathers.

Talked to a guy the other day who had sent his shotgun off to Wilson Combat for conversion. He liked the results.

Guest Phantom6

Len wrote:

switch barrel from 18" to 26",

26 inches? :confused: That's a lot of steel hangin' out there. I wouldn't know what to do with a big ol' long gun like that. hammer3.gif

Tell me about it! Lots of gun to swing toward the targets...

Actually, some competition shottys will go 28" or even longer. My Benelli Nova tactical config (18") is much easier to handle, but the longer barrel of the "sporting" guns helps lots with accuracy once you get the hang of it.

Len wrote:

26 inches? :confused: That's a lot of steel hangin' out there. I wouldn't know what to do with a big ol' long gun like that. hammer3.gif