Picture of legal TCA 39-17-1319 Sign??

Guest vettebrett

Guest vettebrett

Does anyone have a picture of the correct legal sign that conforms to the law other than the ones you see every where with the gun with a line thru it???

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've asked that question a hundred times and no one could provide me with one. The most anyone would do is cite the dang law. The law don't say squat except "language substantialy similiar to"....to what, a No fishing sign? In my opinion all the sign has to say is NO guns, NO weapons, NO firearms ect., ect.. NO means NO!!!! Just my 2 cents... I'm just waiting like you are. I have signs up (for family safety reasons). "No firearms permitted" and a gun buster. That's all it says and all it will ever say! Just the way it is....

Dave S

Guest vettebrett

Yes, I have read the law verbatim and it is so ambiguous and almost "open" to interpitation it is not funny. And then if you run into a problem and the responding police are insure of the correct interpitation of the law, you are out in the cold and possible under arrest???

I had the AG opinion on it, but I was told that one is out of date; maybe someone has a new one.
So far the only ones that have been arrested (that I have heard of) were the ones that refused to leave, and as far as I know they were charged with trespass not weapons violations.

Does anyone have a picture of the correct legal sign that conforms to the law other than the ones you see every where with the gun with a line thru it???

"Gun with the line thru it" is perfectly sufficient according to the statute.

You have, you know, read the statute? Seems pretty clear to me, as far as what wording is necessary also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
My opinion: You see the gunbuster sign most often because of the two choices in the law it is a no brainer for a business owner, etc. vs the other sign option. The same confusion expressed about the wording, size, etc. makes it too difficult once the gun buster option was added.

From TCA 39-17-1359

(b.)  (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a.) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (b.)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited.

(3)  (A.) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

(B.) As used in this section, "language substantially similar to" means the sign contains language plainly stating that:

(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;

(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and

(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

(C.) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b.)(3).

Example: FED1700.jpg

So looks like the gun buster circle with slash or the T.C.A. 13.15.1359 lingo sign displayed in a prominate location and of a size that can easily been seen by anyone entering the building or premise. So the sign than says " no guns" on the door or my favorite restaurant can be ignored. I'm happy now.

... So the sign than says " no guns" on the door or my favorite restaurant can be ignored....

No test case to prove that thesis we know of yet. Meaning, statute does not state that a statutorily non-compliant posting exempts one from prosecution. The federal one regarding federal facilities does, but not the TN one.

We also have a state AG who wrote an opinion that even if a park was not posted at all, a person could still be prosecuted if indeed the municipality had opted out of the park carry statute.

Go figger, YMMV, smoke em if you got em.

- OS

The gunbuster signs carried absolutely no legal weight until they were added as a valid sign when carrying guns in restaurants that serve was made legal. I know for a fact that several local businesses were intentionally posted with the buster signs to make certain people happy while the poster knew it carried no legal weight.
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest cheezemills
The part I cant figure out is why you want to get past an anti gun sticker to give the person that posted it your hard earned money? I would leave my gun in the car walkm in and try to get the sticker removed and if that doesnt work I would let them know they are missing out on a bunch of money by having that sign and politely leave.