biometric safes

Guest bhiers

I'm thinking of buying a biometric gun safe, just looking for other peoples experience with them. How good they work, what brands work best, what brands to stay away from. I fiquired if anyone would know TGO would.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the idea of them personally. Can't help but wonder how well they work under extenuating circumstances. Lets say for instance I have something ie; blood, mud, chocolate, paint, shampoo, etc all over my hands. I don't know, just rather have one of the ones with the finger pads.
Guest Lester Weevils

Not a fan of the biometric safes ....

I prefer simplex small bedside safes :)

This is what I have:  http://www.fas1safe.com

That's the kind of lock on my pistol safe. Ain't worn out after 15 years and lord knows how many operations of the lock. I've seen lots of store display electronic safes hopelessly broken just sitting on display for a few months.

That's the kind of lock on my pistol safe. Ain't worn out after 15 years and lord knows how many operations of the lock. I've seen lots of store display electronic safes hopelessly broken just sitting on display for a few months.

Yup ... No electronics to fail :)

I like the one I posted because it swings up itself -- You don't have to manually open the door :)  For $219, its a pretty well built safe bedside safe :)

I have had the small biometric nightstand safe from GunVault for about a year. I can fit a Glock 17 with a light/laser and a Ruger LCP in it at the same time. Despite opening it about 6 times a week I have not needed to change the batteries yet, but probably should soon just in case (they say to change them every year). I have it set to read mine and my wife’s prints, and have had my children try it numerous times just to be sure it won’t open to theirs like some of the cheap ones would when they first came out. I have noticed that your angle to the safe has a definite effect on it getting an accurate read on your finger. From a lying in bed position I can always get it to open in one swipe, but from standing up next to the nightstand I have occasionally had to swipe a time or two, but still resulting in access with a few seconds. It does come with a set of keys that you can use to open it should your batteries die. One thing to note, when you push the button to have it start watching for your finger swipe, it makes a tone similar to a low battery tone on a cell phone, mine is loud enough to be heard down at the front door, even though my safe is in the upstairs bedroom. Additionally when your finger swipe is accepted it makes the tone again and then there is a slight mechanical noise as two small lifters under spring tension push the lid up far enough to slide your fingers under the lid and open it.  I have opened it with oily and wet hands, but not bloody.  Next time I get a bleed I’ll try to remember to slather some on the safe and try to open it, and then report back.

I should add, that I'm looking to get another one for my wife's new pistol, but will probably save a $100 bucks and just buy the combination one and let her choose whichever one she's comfortable with.  The biometric is nice, but maybe not $200 nice.

Edited by Danger Rane