Should Gun Owners Have To Buy Liability Insurance?

For hundreds of years we have had weapons, now all of a sudden, some politician gets their panties in a wad and wants to tax me under the guise of calling it 'insurance' (where have I heard this before) because why? Have guns become so much more violent in the last 7 weeks? Is insurance magical?  Will it prevent criminals from committing crimes because they will fear their premiums will go up?

If the government thugs make everyone get liability insurance I promise you, every family member of every little punk killed in the commission of a crime will find some way to work the system and sue the victim.

If you move away from the "mandatory" issue and take firearms out of it for a moment as we;; I believe most of the complaints about liability insurance could be made about all insurance of any kind. I doubt that any of us like insurance or like buying it but that doesn't mean we don't need it or shouldn't have it.

I would much rather not have to pay the significant $$$ I pay out every month for medical insurance and be able to just ignore the bills when I get sick.

I'd much rather forgo paying auto insurance and, if I cause an accident, I guess that's just too bad for the other guy and if I total my car in the process well, then I go buy another I suppose (with all the money I'd save by not buying auto insurance I'd be able to easily save enough for another car ;) ).

Same thing with homeowners insurance; if my house burns down I'll just stick the mortgage company with the worthless remains and move somewhere else.

Buying insurance is not fun...it's expensive...but we do it (or should do it) because it's both the financially responsible thing to do for ourselves/our family and also for the society we live in...unless we are wealthy enough to afford to pay out of pocket for every emergency and/or any damage we might do to another person; we need insurance to step in and fill the gap.

God forbid that I ever have to fire my weapon to protect myself and God forbid TWICE if in the course of doing so I happen to injure or kill an innocent bystander - should that ever happen I would at least hope that I can make some restitution to that person or that person's family.

My right to own and bear arms and to use the same in defense of my life does not supersede my obligation to innocent persons I may injure in the process. Except for the very wealthy, liability insurance is the best option we have to be able to meet the obligation for the harm we might cause.

Edited by RobertNashville