9mm Federal

Superman

Seemed like a dumb idea, but since they made it is it worth my time? Looking at a Charter Arms Pitbull chambered in 9mm Federal. Looks like ammo is nonexistent but can reload by trimming 38 or 357 brass and running thru 9mm dies. Probly should just stick with 38/357mag.

Edit for clarity 9mm Federal is a rimmed 9mm cartridge, just like 38/357

Edited by Superman
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seemed like a dumb idea, but since they made it is it worth my time? Looking at a Charter Arms Pitbull chambered in 9mm Federal. Looks like ammo is nonexistent but can reload by trimming 38 or 357 brass and running thru 9mm dies. Probly should just stick with 38/357mag.

Wow, how esoteric that is. I had to look it up.

I have plenty of 9mm, this gun is chambered in 9mm Federal. Basically, Federal took a 9mm case and added a rim to it. So it looks like a 38 special but shorter. I read somewhere Federal stopped making the ammo because people were loading it into 38spl revolvers and that can be very hazardous to your health. 9mm operates and much higher pressures than 38spl

Truthfully a 357 is so much more versatile I would not bother with a 9mm revolver. If I were a police officer or security guard that for whatever reason a 9mm would be less hassle I would but that is so few of people it's almost not worth mentioning. Edited by Patton

Truthfully a 357 is so much more versatile I would not bother with a 9mm revolver. If I were a police officer or security guard that for whatever reason a 9mm would be less hassle I would but that is so few of people it's almost not worth mentioning. I can't help but to believe there is some reliability issues with a rimless round in a revolver sometimes anyway.

Are you not reading the thread?

Just looked at that. Dang, limit 1 catridge per customer 3.95 each. Looks like this gun is a steal for what they are asking, says it comes with 100 rounds.

I think that site owner must be somewhat nuts, just posted it for the description of the round itself.

- OS

Sounds like a familiar story. Supposedly I have a friend of a friend with a 44 auto mag from the 80's that he has never been able to find ammo for.

Obviously these do not require moon clips, but can the round be used in 9mm that normally require a moon clip?
I traded for one of these a few months ago. The price was right and the guy gave me a 50 round box of hollow points. After a little research I've started reloading for it. Shoots great with the reloads (2.25" groups at 25 yards off of bags). I can't bring myself to shoot the factory stuff. I use 38 S&W cases cut down to correct length and loaded using 9mm luger data.

I traded for one of these a few months ago. The price was right and the guy gave me a 50 round box of hollow points. After a little research I've started reloading for it. Shoots great with the reloads (2.25" groups at 25 yards off of bags). I can't bring myself to shoot the factory stuff. I use 38 S&W cases cut down to correct length and loaded using 9mm luger data.

Will it headspace and fire normal 9x19 ammo?  You'd have to pick the cases out but at least you could shoot it.

No, it requires a rimmed cartridge. Like I said it shoots great with the reload I'm making with 38 s&w cases. The cases barely require any trimming, then run them through a 9mm luger sizing die using a 38 s&w shell holder ( also 38 special/ 357 magnum). Then load using .355 or .356 bullets and an appropriate powder charge.
  • 1 month later...