DPMS AR "budget"

My thingy wouldnt quick reply for some reason...anyways what I was gonna say was had I had it to do over again I probably would have bought a budget AR to start with instead of a stripped lower so at least I would have somethin to shoot atm....when I priced out my Del-ton build it hit over $920.00 LOL:screwy:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several great deals out there for people wanting a quality, factory built starter rifle (ie: doesnt have the uber maxed out SOPMOD/Kitchen sink option)

Greats deals:

DPMS Panther Lite 16 (available with A1 or A2 carry handles) in fact, all of the DPMS Lite configurations are great deals.

Del-Ton DT15 (M4 style rifle that sells in low to mid 700s)

Joe in your opinion for a plinker like me is the Bravo Company parts worth the extra cash over going with Del-ton?

I had been reading about how BC stuff is MPI, etc.....

What do you and Dan consider the most important parts to not skimp on when building an AR...ie chrome lined barrel, chrome or Tin(sp?) BCG, etc....

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
extra stuff...

I dont have personal experience with the BC stuff, but have had nothing but good results with Del-Ton.

Added: If you can save a ton of money, the BC stuff is worth a try. Its not like you are taking this rifle to Iraq, so if it does fail on the range, its not a matter of life and death.

My guess would be that the BC stuff is fine, because if they were putting out total crap, the tinfoil hat guys would be foaming at the mouth on arfcom

Edited by BimmerFreak
Whats the advantage/disadvantage to an upgrade single stage trigger as opposed to a two stage trigger?

Single Stage GI Trigger:

+ Cheap

+ Easy

+ Reliable

+ Has worked for over 40 years and and a dozen conflicts

- It's a GI trigger

- Traditional hunters/bolt action guys hate them (but they forget this is a battle rifle)

Two Stage Match Trigger:

+ SMOOOOOTTHHHHHH

+ Can assist in more precise grouping (if you do your part)

+ You can brag to your buddies about how much you spent

- Expensive

- Can be less reliable

My main complaint about my DPMS is the fact that it will not, , in any way, shape, form or fashion, cycle cheap ammo reliably. Wolf, Barnaul, old S&B, any of the cheap stuff. And its picky what it will shoot, likes the fed m193, but not the 855, Remington is nearly as bad as the steel cased stuff, but eats WWB like its going out of style. Why do I put myself thru this??? Keep buying firearms that are finicky. Gonna go get a cheap AK, and some Keltecs. ARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

LOL other than that, I really like my evil Black rifle

Guest db99wj

I posted this on Triple's AR post:

I keep hearing the build vs. buy complete argument.

Here is a DPMS Panther Lite 16 for $725

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1066

?id=1066

It has a fixed handle and I know you want a flat top,

the have this one for $699, a Panther™ 5.56NATO Sportical

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5295

?id=5295

Those prices are on the DPMS website.

Don't they make a carry handle for the flat tops? Seems like I saw one somwhere.

Guest Mugster
NONE of which you really need in a range environment.

After 22 years of dorking with ar's, I question the validity of the FA anyway. If a case sticks going into battery, the chances are better than even that tapping the FA will stick it in there worse and it still won't shoot. I think your better off ejecting and chambering another round. I guess the old SPORTS (slap, pull, observe, release, tap, and squeeze) kinda reinforces this.

Dust cover is nice to have I guess. The deflection plate doesn't do anything for you, imo. If you have to left hand it for some reason, hot brass is the least of your worries. Well...I guess if your a lefty you want it.

Guest crytes

I kind of like the smooth look whithout the deflector. And I doub the thin coat of dust you get befor fireing will make much difference. Every failed ar based rifle I've seen were either fouled or damaged gas tube. And 6 yr in the army I never used the foward assist.