Sig 229 sight problems

Guest bazookazilla

Guest bazookazilla

I have a Sig 229 that was my first pistol. It shoots very low. I find that I have to put my front sight over where I want to hit and a little bit above it actually. I "learned" to shoot that way and am still having problems with my shots going high with my other pistol. It's a very hard habit to break. My sights are Trijicon night sights and are not adjustable in the up/down fashion. Are there others who have had this problem? If so do you have a remedy? Are there other night sights available that I might switch to? Also...does anyone have any pointers for breaking this habit??? I am getting better but it is a slow process.

BTW The Sig has about 3000 rounds through it without a single jam/FTF or FTE. It's a great pistol, but I don't feel comfortable carrying it cuz of my accuracy issues, not cuz the gun isn't reliable.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

what cailiber ?

sounds like you might have the wrong # sights. most of the sigs use different #'s for different calibers to allow for the difference in the line of sight.

generally the 229 in 9mm will have # 8 front AND rear.

the .40 cal will have a # 6 front and a # 8 rear..

the.357 will usually be close to the .40 with some slight visual compensation.

check and there should be a number on each site.

someone may have installed the wrong ones.

good luck --- great gun,

bob

Guest Verbal Kint

As Bobmack mentioned, there are different models/heights available for the sight blades. You can go shorter or taller, depending on how you need to compensate for where the gun is hitting.

A shorter height will force you to raise the muzzle higher, to complete your sight plane, thus shooting higher... and a taller blade will force your muzzle down, to complete your sight picture, thus shooting lower.

( I've had a few drinks, so someone sober might want to confirm my logic above. :lol: )

Guest bazookazilla
Some people have this issue when transitioning from a Glock, (steeper angle) to "brand x" gun. So do you have a Glock you normally shoot by chance?

nope, never owned a glock

Guest DrBoomBoom

I had a similar problem with my Smith 4566 shooting low. A friend suggested benching it first, for several magazines. The problem continued, so I got a lower Novak front sight, and that cured it.

• 2 weeks later...