Value of a SW model 27

big mo

Guest gcrookston

Like so many forums, the S&W forum has "gathered a personality" and, for good or ill, they believe individual sales should be to individuals and not expressly for the purpose of resale. Practices like the Fugate Brother's drive up the prices for the rest of us and it is believed by the majority of the members on that board (well, at least the moderators), that it's somewhat unfair. It didn't help the F-brother's cause to taunt, tease and torment the moderators of that board...

For over 2 decades I have searched pawn shops and guns stores for deals to fund, by way of resale, my own collection, and I see nothing wrong with the practice. I maintained an FFL for just that purpose from 1986-1992.

However, just knowing by reputation that they are going to be 10% above market price has kept me from stopping in and checking them out.,,, Ok, I admit, I check their sight regularly, but haven't found a deal yet (most of their prices are 10-25% above market, go figure).

I think, perhaps I will consider the S&W portion of my collection complete when I've landed a pre-war .357. It doesn't have to be registered. Folks like the Fugate's have blown those prices out of the water, however, and I'll have to rely on someone that doesn't know what they have... Until then, I have a nice 5" model 41 and a 5" model 27-2 to hold as barter...

Post Script: Other forums with Odd personalities I've encountered: AR15.com, HK91.com, Warrifles.com. I'm not going to list the 9 sites I've been banned from, as I behaved on them exactly as I behave on this one and the half dozen other's I belong to. All I can say is "stupid is as stupid does", and a lot of moderators seem to like fighting smoldering embers with flamable liquid. At least the one(s) here have a sense of reason.

Edited by gcrookston
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... The spamming thing is the only complaint I saw, that I could agree with. I hate spam...... now I'm not sure who I think is more petty... the Fugates or that moron moderator "Parabellum" over there......

Parabellum is the owner of the S&W Forum.

The Fugates didn't spam the forum - - - They hacked the forum and stole all of the members' email addresses from Parabellum.

Then they spamed all of us with emails. When asked to stop they sent several members emails full of hate and cussing. They didn't stop until contacted by an agency that took their thief of the emails as a serious crime.

The Fugates also are being watched by GunBroker & Auction Arms for using several fake names to run up their auctions. Check for any listing by "fugotti" or "lastbidder" and you will notice the same names will jump in on an auction and run the price up and then quit bidding. Also be aware of "cmannie" who is one of the Fugates' bidders.

The Sig Forum has also ban them and the Colt Forum has a moderator who tracks them anytime their IP address signs on.

I'm not against a business making money, but John & Matt Fugate are A-Holes!

Edited by DMark
Guest Verbal Kint
Parabellum is the owner of the S&W Forum.

I'm not against a business making money, but John & Matt Fugate are A-Holes!

Not excusing the "fact" that the Fugates sent out vulgar retorts, I'd say Parabellum is a class act himself. Who the hell is he to say that what someone does in REAL LIFE, outside of the forum, in their own private time, dictates being banned or not? If he finds out that anyone has a transaction with the Fugates, he'll ****can them no questions asked? WTF. Definitely A-Hole material in my book!

The Fugates didn't spam the forum - - - They hacked the forum and stole all of the members' email addresses from Parabellum.

The FBI is after them, eh? Was going to quote it but apparently you edited that out in time. My transaction was with them a few weeks ago. Last I heard, they are free and well.

They hacked the forums? :clap: Do you know how hard it is to hack the software and server to extract that information? We're not talking about the movies, or Federal employees that make a living doing this... we're talking about two brothers who live in Gilbertsville, KY, and work from their attached garage. Having been there and met them, and know people who have known them for years, I can honestly say that is bull****. Not bashing the guys, but they are waaaaay under the curve on that one. :lol:

This is also based on the fact that I've worked at an ISP for several years, been in the IT field off and on again since I was old enough to drive, and ran a few vB forums myself. It's just not that easy for the average Joe to do... and not something I see either of them paying someone else to do.

The Fugates also are being watched by GunBroker & Auction Arms for using several fake names to run up their auctions. Check for any listing by "lastbidder" and you will notice the same names will jump in on an auction and run the price up and then quit bidding.

THIS is also something I will agree with you on, in addition to the spamming and vulgar emails, if true. This would be a legitimate complaint. If true, however, GunBroker could easily match the IP addresses and see if they're the same people... or match the credit cards that are required for each account, and see who the owners are. Fugate Firearms is still a vendor on there. So apparently GB doesn't have that strong of an airtight case... or doesn't believe they are doing this. If so, they'd be long gone as this is a clear violation of their TOS.

----

All I'm saying is it sounds like they have done some questionable things on these sites. But it really sounds like there's a lot of **** talking going on, and Holiday Inn Express legal talk going on, in all of these threads. Did they send out vulgar emails and spam people? It sure sounds like it. Did they hack a database file and steal emails? I seriously doubt it. Did I experience any of these issues in my dealings? No. Should other people be aware of all of this though? Sure. Should there be this big of a witch hunt and show of force against them? Not in my opinion.

:hat:

Just read through the 28 page sticky over on the S&W forums... and now I'm not sure who I think is more petty... the Fugates or that moron moderator "Parabellum" over there. :clap:

So you just signed up for the Smith & Wesson forum and you are going to make judgments about it based on your vast knowledge of one thread?

Parabellum doesn’t make the S&W forum anymore than your brother does this one. The S&W forum is a wealth of information for Smith & Wesson shooters. I don’t like some things that have gone on here and I have said so openly; but I didn’t go post on the S&W forum or GT about them.

This is a great forum here, and so is the S&W forum. I don’t think you should be allowed to drag their name through the mud here based on you not knowing squat about them. But then I don’t own this forum.

Edited by DaveTN
I'm not going to list the 9 sites I've been banned from, as I behaved on them exactly as I behave on this one and the half dozen other's I belong to.

smilielol5.gifsmilielol5.gif

I’ve gotten in some pretty heated discussions, but I have never been banned from a forum.

….. yet.

:clap:

If I am a member on S&W also, and I agree that sometimes Parabellum can go a little overboard. But, hey, it's his board! If you need info on a smith, thats the place to goI asked quite a few ?'s there before I bought my 28-2 6". But just like here, I dont agree with everything said dand done on the forum. K****** should have been gone long before the mods banned him. and I dont think Rabbi was banned from the whole board, he chose to leave after his vendor status was revoked and his suspension(or thats the way I read it) I liked Rabbi and thought he was a good guy to bantter with, but he was abrasive too.

My point... I know I will never agree with every decision that a Mod makes on any of these boards. If I disagree that much, I will stop using that board for an indefinite period until I get over my mad.

God grant me the serenity to accept mods decisions I cannot change.

the courage to chime in on the things I can, and the wisdom to step away from the keyboard before I ger banned

Guest Verbal Kint
So you just signed up for the Smith & Wesson forum and you are going to make judgments about it based on your vast knowledge of one thread?

Parabellum doesn’t make the S&W forum anymore than your brother does this one. The S&W forum is a wealth of information for Smith & Wesson shooters. I don’t like some things that have gone on here and I have said so openly; but I didn’t go post on the S&W forum or GT about them.

This is a great forum here, and so is the S&W forum. I don’t think you should be allowed to drag their name through the mud here based on you not knowing squat about them. But then I don’t own this forum.

When the owner of the forum (Parabellum, according to DMark) steps so far over his virtual boundaries into real life, and tries to dictate to me or anyone else what I can and can't do away from his little piece of internet realestate... YES I will let that influence my decision on going back.

No one is going to tell me what I can and can't do, especially with my own damn money that I have earned, or face being banned from a website. Simply put, he can go **** himself.

If anyone is dragging them down, it's him with his own words and actions. I simply restated what he has clearly thrown down as "law" on that site. He's made a grand spectacle out of the whole thing over there, and professionalism went straight out the window with his almost egging them on, the angry mob fueling the fire, and his ultimatums. It's a three ring circus.

Am I bashing them? No. If someone were to mention S&W forums to me in conversation, would I tell them of this incident and what the forum owner said? Sure, most likely. Then they can draw their own conclusions and decide for themselves if they want to use the forum or not. No skin of my back.

Guest Verbal Kint
If I am a member on S&W also, and I agree that sometimes Parabellum can go a little overboard. But, hey, it's his board!

My point... I know I will never agree with every decision that a Mod makes on any of these boards. If I disagree that much, I will stop using that board for an indefinite period until I get over my mad.

God grant me the serenity to accept mods decisions I cannot change.

the courage to chime in on the things I can, and the wisdom to step away from the keyboard before I ger banned

Exactly. Well said. :D