Garden Time

Getting ready to plant our garden, last year was our first garden in about 30 years. Didn't to to badly except the raccoons got our corn. Wasn't any raccoons around here 30 years ago. Anyway, green beans, I couldn't remember what kind mom and dad grew, so we planted white half runners. Got a late start on getting them something to climb on. Would rather try a bush bean this year, what is a good flavorful bush bean you would recommend ?
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting ready to plant our garden, last year was our first garden in about 30 years. Didn't to to badly except the raccoons got our corn. Wasn't any raccoons around here 30 years ago. Anyway, green beans, I couldn't remember what kind mom and dad grew, so we planted white half runners. Got a late start on getting them something to climb on. Would rather try a bush bean this year, what is a good flavorful bush bean you would recommend ?

This is funny. We are switching form bush beans to pole beans this year. I know the poles are a little labor, but picking beans stooped over in the heat is miserable. Ours got all tilled up yesterday, so we will be planting next weekend. Tomatoes, beans, peas, sweet and bell peppers, cucumbers, squash, some broccoli, okra and a few cantaloupes, hopefully we can learn to can this summer.

Black Valentine or Bush Blue Lake are great. Also try starting your seed planting with two plants every ten days or so for a continuous harvest. That way you don't get a metric ton of beans all at the same time. Edited by thundersnow

We started our garden about 8 days ago.

I have Kentucky Wonder beans breaking through the soil today.

Being a bit behind on our garden we picked up a few Bright Lights Swiss Shard, a couple of Jalapeno pepper plants, and a couple of tomato plants from Mayo's (Knoxville). We also planted some beets and carrots...but the weather is so darned unpredictable I don't know how they'll do.

I'm planting some Blue Lake beans, okra, and cucumbers today.

We plant in raised beds...and the friggin rabbits are numerous in the burbs this year, so I'm surrounding all of the beds with chicken wire,,,it's resuable year to year and saved a lot of our plants (on the second planting) last year. Live and learn.

Regarding beans...fwiw...if you want to try some bush beans, I've had great luck with Walmart's "Great Value" dried beans right out of our pantry. The Red Kidney bean and black beans have done remarkably well for us over the past few years. Fresh Red Kidney beans are darned tasty! :up: