Weatherby SA-08 Semi Auto Shotgun Question

TexasAggie

Group,

I’m looking to purchase a good entry level semi auto 12 gauge shotgun. I’m considering a Weatherby SA-08. The shotgun is Turkish made but sold under Weatherby’s brand (and quality control standards). I also understand it uses a Beretta 390 design. I’ve found very few Internet complaints (other than some not liking Turkish made guns) and the reviews are good. I’m a little concerned about parts availability, but Weatherby has good customer support from the reviews I’ve read. Bass Pro has them for sale in the $550 range (Gunbroker’s used pricing is just as high).

Does anyone have experience with this gun? I intend to use it as a field gun only. Thanks.

Edited by TexasAggie
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother likes his, but he doesn't shoot it all that often either & I haven't had the chance to play with it first-hand, so I am not sure how helpful this post is going to be.

Anyway at their low price point it'd probably be worth gambling on, especially since its only going to be used as a field gun the potential of an occasional "hiccup" isn't going to cause you all that much grief.

Thanks.

I bought one yesterday at Bass Pro. The finish was good, fit me well, and was light and easy to shoulder. The Dept. Manager told me they were selling a lot of them. I bought the last one.

It comes with 2 pistons for the gas system. One is for magnum shells and the other one is for lighter loads. Also it comes with three chokes (modified, improved, and full). As for quality, fit and finish are nice for the price but the overall feel is not on par with higher end guns. I plan to use it for squirrel and general plinking, and I couldn't see myself using (and dinging up) a $1,400 "B" gun as a truck gun.

But for an entry level semi auto, I think it's pretty good (especially for the price). I'm headed to TX next week on business. I have some east TX hardwood river bottom land and I'll put some loads through it (there's plenty of slithering targets).

Edited by TexasAggie

I bought 1 in 20g last fall before dove season opened,no problems so far,ck your ammo with the heavy piston first,heavy dove loads will cycle with the heavy piston,Id by another in 12g if I needed a good 12g,I got the synthetic stock but would like to have the wood stocks also,seen some pictures & the wood looks really good,down side is about $250 more from what i seen online last year,hope you have a lotta good times with it