TSA not accepting HCP as valid ID?

I have experienced this same issue. I fly often and have experienced varying levels of support to this new "rule" <br /><br />On principle I use my HCP. It is valid state issued ID. It has my picture, address and DOB and even my TN DL#. Frankly I think it's in direct violation of the TSA's own rules and I just don't appreciate the security theater. They look at me, look at my picture and shine a black light on the ID to see the hidden marks. Thats it. The reality is they'd let you through with a library card
  • Like 1

And you think a TSA agent in TX should know that? If you had a passport and a DL, and you handed him a gun permit; I don’t see the “principal" issue in that. I’m not knocking what you did, I may have done the same thing if I was bored just for the entertainment value. biggrin.gif Made for good forum story.

As I said in the original post, "Headed out to TX", I was at Nashville.  I have "On Principal" used my HCP for years at Nashville, and did just two weeks ago and it was accepted, to check in and to pass so called security. I can use it to vote, from TN.GOV:

What IDs are acceptable?

Any of the following IDs may be used, even if expired:

• Tennessee drivers license with your photo
  • United States Passport
  • Photo ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security
  • Photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government
  • United States Military photo ID
  • Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo

why not to board a plane.

My reading of:

Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)

is that a HCP card is a photo ID issued by the Dept. of Safety in TN, which IS "equivalent".  Plus, it has my Drivers License number on it, and has all of the information shown on the DL, with the addition of the copy of my signature, and, is backed up by an FBI, TBI and local LE background check, where the DL is not.

And to boot, I think his information is BS, and can promise I will find out.  If I am wrong, I will admit it, but the two electronic strips across the back are the exact same thing that is on the DL and there is a world of info on them that does not show on the front.

Edited by Worriedman
Here is a copy of an email I sent to the TFA

John,

I am writing to inform you of an egregious violation of my right to travel by the TSA at multiple airports thought the country.  I travel by air very frequently for business and have in the past been able to use my Tennessee Handgun Carry permit as acceptable identification for the TSA airport security checkpoints.

In the past month I have been informed that the handgun permit is no longer an acceptable form of identification.  This is in contradiction to TSA's own published policy (link below) and also would seem be in violation of Tennessee's sovereign rights to publish identification cards for its citizens and expect to have them recognized by the Federal government. I've had this experience at multiple airports and each TSA agent refers to a policy change regarding acceptable forms of ID.

If one were conspiracy minded, you could conclude that this is a petty effort to harass and delegitimize HCP holders as part of the Obama administration's ongoing war against gun owners.  

I would welcome your guidance on how to proceed with obtaining action from our elected officials on this matter.

Regards,

Mr Hershmeister

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

Text:

Identity Matters

Adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won't be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone's identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.

Acceptable IDs include:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
Native American Tribal Photo ID
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S.
This standardization of the list of accepted documents better aligns TSA with other DHS components, including Customs and Border Protection, and REAL ID benchmarks.

Latest revision: 16 December 2012 Edited by Hershmeister

Just cleared security at Austin, using my HCP as ID.  Was not even questioned. 

Had some time to kill, so I looked up the on duty manager of TSA, he checked on his "cheat sheet", and he said TN HCP were good to go, as they have the DL number on it, and he told me that he and his people know that.

Edited by Worriedman

Mr. Reyes (TSA Manager at Austin) just came back and told me that TSA came out with a "Policy" a few months ago, denying HCPs as valid Primary ID, however if you have a Social Security card on your person in addition, it is acceptable in the aggregate. 

I just cleared TSA at BNA a few minutes ago. Showed my HCP and the TSA agent immediately, but very nicely, handed it back and asked for my DL. After I gave it to him he commented that they stopped accepting the HCP "about six months ago." He then said he didn't know why since the HCP requires more vetting than a DL.

Mr. Reyes (TSA Manager at Austin) just came back and told me that TSA came out with a "Policy" a few months ago, denying HCPs as valid Primary ID, however if you have a Social Security card on your person in addition, it is acceptable in the aggregate.

This supports the notion that it's simply an anti-gun approach by the Obama administration -
  • Like 1

I still don't get why people go to their HCP as a first choice for ID. IMHO I put these people in the same category as people who buy HCP badges.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

From my point of view, it cost me a lot more than my driver's license, (I like getting value for my dollars spent) is far superior in its validity, (background check and all that) and up until this last week was never challenged.  It also is listed as a valid form of ID, so why not?

I still don't get why people go to their HCP as a first choice for ID. IMHO I put these people in the same category as people who buy HCP badges.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

And I don't get why my government would deliberately deny the validity of an HCP as valid identification. And I stand by my theory.

If you flew as much as me and observed the indignities that I see my fellow citizens subject / Particularly seniors and children / you might feel differently.
  • Like 1

And I don't get why my government would deliberately deny the validity of an HCP as valid identification. And I stand by my theory.

I can answer that. TSA employees are recruited for their low IQ. Makes total sense any issues folks have with them.