reload data for 9mm 147 gr lead using Alliant American Select...need some help

Hi Folks;

I did a search and read over several threads, here and elesewhere. I did find one suggestion of 3.5 grains of American Select for the 147 gr lead bullet.

I actually found some of powder available. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have been using Alliant Unique 3.9 grs for my Lone Wolf barreled Glocks 19 and 17. I really like the recoil impulse generated with this load. But alas, my Unique stock is down to about 2 pounds.

In my search here and over the interweb I've found folks discussing American Select for 9mm over several years. I've just never considered it. But as the shortage of powder and primers shows no signs of abating, I guess it's time start considering it. :)

Do any of you have much experience with it?

Any load suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I got nothing to offer but I do understand the frustration. I veer off the trail a lot and finding data is a chore.

I also have a good idea of what recoil should be like with this load I currently load a bullet I cast from an Accurate 35-135B which actually falls around 140g. I load it over 3.0 of Accurate Nitro 100NF. It cycles 100% and is very accurate. What amazes me is as you say, the recoil impulse. It's strange, it's very mild and produces zero muzzle flip, which is a big factor in why it's so accurate. From my Glcok 19 w/ a Lone Wolf barrel, 50 rounds at 15 feet will make a neat little 3 inch hole in the target.

Good luck. Edited by Caster

Thank you Caster.

I guess I fell to normalcy basis and thought Unique would always be available LOL.

It'll do me good to learn some different powders. Having used Unique with great results for over 25 years I simply never got around to doing so.

I'm keeping an eye out for the new formula AA nitro 100, as I've seen you post about having good results with it in your reloading. And Yeah, I really like the easy "rolling" feel to the lead 147grainers out of my Glocks. :pleased:

I'm getting very similar accuracy results with my Unique load. I'm hoping to achieve the same with the American select. Time, and experimentation, will tell.

Any and all input is welcomed folks.

You be EXTRA careful with N100. It is VERY hot stuff. Pressures can go through the roof if you don't mind your seating depth and charge. Send Accurate an email. They're very good about sharing data.

Good suggestion Caster. That I will do.

I am anal about seating depth and OAL LOL. That's why I switched to digital calipers last year.

I've used W231 and AA#2 and really watch the charge closely as they are such fine powders and use a small charge relative to velocity. I would assume N100 is even more of an issue.

Thanks Raoul.

I've seen Green Dot mentioned nearly every place I look for info on American Select.

I realize powders will eventually be more readily available, but the clowns in Washington are through trying to stifle our abilities to pursue our shooting...so I'm trying my best to provide myself with viable options.

Green Dot, 700X, and WSF are on my "locate" list as well. I have Unique and W231 backordered...but you know how that goes.

Thanks again guys.

• Like 1

I received the below load data yesterday (while I was at work) from Ben Amonette at Alliant:

cleardot.gif
"With American Select and a 147 gr lead bullet, I suggest starting with 2.9 grs and the max should be approx. 3.3 grs."

I do accept that this is cautionary load data. I'll start low and work up and see how it goes.

I've flattened a few primers and blow a few cases over the years...enough to have me not wanting to repeat it again...so easy does it. :pleased:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can you post your results?

For whomever is interested:

I finally had the opportunity to try out the American Select powder.

I loaded 9mm 147 gr LFP bullets over:

3.0 grains

3.2 grains

3.4 grains.

I don't own a chronograph (Yet). The 3.4 grains (according to data I obtained Thanks to Spiffy) should yield a PF of 133-134. When I have the chance to chrono I'll update this thread.

The 3.4 gave the best grouping. All loads cycled my Lone Wolf barreled Glock 17 well and fed reliably.

I used Tula Lead Free Small pistol primers. I would prefer Wolf Small Pistol Magnum primers ...but these days you use what ya got. :cool:

OAL was 1.130".

I've seen where folks published data where they went up to 3.7 grains and greater. As long as the 3.4 grains meets an acceptable Power Factor for IDPA I'm good with this load.

The American Select is very similar in appearance to Unique, and meters very well through my Dillon 550B.

Also the AmSel was less "smoky" than my normal Unique load of 3.8 grains.

And...no signs of overpressure were noted.

Hopefully some kind gentleman that shoots IDPA at ORSA with me will bring his chrono out and we can make sure I'm "legal"...

what with the New Rule book and all I'm gonna need all the help I can get figuring this out. LOL.

All of this is for informational purposes only btw. :squint: