What knife should I buy?

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

I am looking for a fixed blade 4" that hangs from a lanyard in a holster and is double-edged. I like the S & W HRT3 but it is only 3.5 inches, if I'm correct. Can anybody suggest anything else?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest confidence

You mean, a neck knife? (the only application I can think of for "hanging from a lanyard in a holster").

Um. Yeah. That. :unsure:

Um. Yeah. That. :unsure:

I think you'll find 4" to be cumbersome for EDC.

I damn near turned into a neck knife collector, I tried so many -- I wore the CS Counter Tac II for a couple months, double edged 3 3/8", but eventually went with something overall smaller. I used the chain it came with, but could have used lanyard.

10DC_m.jpg

10DC_5.jpg

It's actually in my box of things to sell, once I get a round tuit.

- OS

So what you are looking for is a dagger.  A 4" long blade is pretty large for a neck knife.  I would think it would be hard to conceal, depending on your body type.  You might have better luck with a push dagger design like a Cold Steel Urban Pal or a Safe Keeper.

Get one handmade? Certainly somebody around here can make you a one of a kind knife for that much. I've owned a S&W neck knife and it was super bad to rust. IDK which model I had or if that's a common problem for neck knives....

After much experimentation I actually settled on a quite inexpensive choice, the Meyerco Law Dog. Perfect blend for both utility and SD, of length, concealment, comfort, near full grip both forehand and backhand, sharp point yet beefy enough overall, etc. Cutting edge is 2.75", overall is 6.5". No, it's not the best steel, one of the lesser 440's AFAIK, but stays plenty sharp enough and easy to keep that way.

Never did find a US production made one that offered everything that suited me. The Kabar Eskabar came close, but wanted sharper point for any possible social work, although for a general utility knife it's a good choice, and you can get scales for it now, too.

The sheath that came with the Law Dog was "okay", but had Al Welke make me a custom kydex for $40 that holds it more securely, more than I paid for the knife, sent him the knife for fitting. Wore it daily for a year and a half, off and on now.

LawDog2.jpg

There are lots of smaller production neckers that are quite nifty for utility use, I particularly like the CRKT Minimalist, never aware you're wearing it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The CRKT Minimalist Bowie is one I would buy if I could find one, locally.  I also like the CRKT SPEW, and the Boker Rambler, But  the one that I would really like to have is the Esee Izula.II  I never was much of an Eskabar fan for the same reason as you, OS.  There isn't much of a point for defensive purposes.

The CRKT Minimalist Bowie is one I would buy if I could find one, locally.

Why local important? They're only 20 clams delivered online, probably more at brick and mortar.

DSCN0242.JPG?a=49

But  the one that I would really like to have is the Esee Izula.II  I never was much of an Eskabar fan for the same reason as you, OS.  There isn't much of a point for defensive purposes.

Yep, I think the Izula II is a fine all around choice for a necker myself:

Izula-II.jpg

- OS

Guest confidence

I am new to knife EDC. I see what you are saying about 4" maybe being too long to conceal comfortably. But some of these blades are so short! Are they really practical for self defense? Help me understand.

I am new to knife EDC. I see what you are saying about 4" maybe being too long to conceal comfortably. But some of these blades are so short! Are they really practical for self defense? Help me understand.

1.5" Urban Pal. You tell me if it might deter an attacker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xdkKNUUOMwU

- OS