SCCY Ind. Cpx-2 Gen 2 9mm

Has any of y'all had any experience with these weapons. I am in the market for a back up pistol to carry on my ankle or concealed during the warmer months. I spent all my money on my main carry Sig and don't want to put out a bunch more (wife will use it on me). So I'm looking for a reasonable priced gun that I can trust to go bang when I pull the trigger. I will be carrying it as back up on duty as well. I know there are better guns and I can save for months to get one, but I am more of a need it now, although tight with my money type person. Just some opinions from you guys and possibly someone that has or had one in the past. The reviews are good and are equivalent to most "mouse" guns.

Edited by Andyshowfan
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SCCY is almost a clone of the Kel Tec P11. There's an active Kel Tec forum at www.thektog.org that occasionally discusses the SCCY. You should go there and read the posts before making a decision.

The Gen 2 SCCY is apparently a lot better than Gen 1. Even so, I'd go with the Kel Tec P11 over the SCCY. 

With the SCCY, you're kinda on your own. With the P11, you have replacement triggers, aftermarket springs, 22lr kits, and a robust owners' forum. The KTOG forum explains how to fluff and buff the P11, replace the trigger (which you can do later), shorten the trigger pull, and generally make it into a very good gun. Parts are so cheap you can attempt a trigger mod that you'd never do on other guns.

Still, Kel Tecs are tinkerers' guns and a bit hit or miss on purchasing. Some are excellent right out of the box; others you might have to tweak a bit to get it right for you, but that's all explained on KTOG.

Almost all of these little 9mm require a special grip to prevent FTEs. FTEs are caused by "limp wristing," which is a bit of a misnomer because it involves more than the wrist. You may have to relearn how to hold the P11/SCCY/TCP/LCP/P32/P3-AT and other mouse guns, but it's easy enough. Again, it's explained on KTOG and there are bound to be YouTube videos on the topic.

Edited by jgradyc

I owned an SCCY Gen 1. My biggest problem wit it was the safety kept coming on when shooting it. 

They fixed that problem with the Gen 2's. 

I will have to admit that the SCCY was smoother in operation than the P11 I owned, it was stainless and the feed ramp was nice and smooth.

The P11 was "rougher" in fit and finish but it worked fine too.

If I were to do it again I'd get the P11. At lest you can buy after market parts for it like "jgradyc" said.

Since Kel Tec parts are so cheap (okay, inexpensive), it's tempting to try things you'd never do on, say, a $500 Glock. I forget what it's called, but I did a "soap bar sanding" of my P11 frame. Basically, you just find any rough edges or contours to the grip you don't like and sand them off, so the finished project looks like a bar of soap after it's been used a few times.  All the rough edges are gone.

It makes the gun look a little less like a stamped piece of plastic. I didn't like how the grip felt in the webbing of my thumb, so I just ground it down. The gun looked completely stock until you put it side by side with another P11, but then the differences were noticeable. There's a vendor on KTOG who'll do the same thing with the slide, taking off the sharp angles, and then nickel plate it or whatever you prefer. It used to be very inexpensive... $50 or so.

I've owned the SCCY and the KelTec PF-9 (single stack version of P-11) and by all means, go with the Kel Tec over the SCCY.

I owned a SCCY for 45 minutes once. I broke the trigger on the second magazine of ammo.

I carried my PF-9 for a year with no problems other than a skim of rust when I sweated on it. The fit and finish of the Kel Tec isn't pretty, but its a very functional reliable gun.