problem with federal ammo

Guest Boonie

Guest Boonie

a while back i bought a box of federal PERSONAL DEFENSE .380 90 gr. hydra-shok jhp bullets and all they will do is jam in my pistol. my gun is a keltec P3AT. the gun will shoot the round nose bullets with no problems. What do i need to do? is there something i have to change in my pistol to fire the personal defense ammo or do i need to change ammo brand? any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

do the rounds look like they are nose diving when trying to feed?

Make sure the ramp is clean and clear of foulings, as this can cause the rough edges on hollow points to stick and jam up. If this doesn't work, try polishing your feed ramp.

Roy since you are shooting a .380 you will probably be much better served just using good ol FMJ rounds as they have more penetration which is sorely lacking in the HP in .380

+1.

Guest gsbell

A good quality FMJ really is the ticket in a .380

But the problem you are asking about is common, that is why we function test our guns we the ammo we intend to use. If you are dead set on a HP round then pick one with a slightly different profile.

Some guns just don't like to feed certain ammo, no rhyme or reason... Definetly try polishing the feed-ramp, but also take the advice about carrying FMJ ammo into consideration. JHP .380 ammo just doesn't perform well. Try the 102gr Remington Golden Sabres if you do want JHPs, though.

Guest bkelm18

In a defensive round, you want penetration. Period. JHP in .380auto simply does not have the penetration, meaning, you run the risk of not hitting anything vital. FMJ is really the only way to ensure decent penetration and thus, decent damage.

Edited by bkelm18