Who Makes Their Own Soap?

I've always wanted to.  I even collected a 50 gallon barrel full of hardwood ash.  I don't have time right now to bother with it, and I would like the barrel off my carport.

So if anyone wants some hardwood ash to leach the potassium hydroxide out of, it's free for the taking.

Also in the Classifieds.  http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/67958-anyone-here-make-soap-free-hardwood-ash/

Will

I know these guys who make soap, they make the best soap....;-)

Tyler: The salt balance has to be just right, so the best fat for making soap comes from humans.
Narrator: Wait. What is this place?
Tyler: A liposuction clinic. 

• Like 2
We buy lye by the 50lb case for soap. I've always wanted to process my own but I'm not in a good position to do that, right now. One day when I have some land, I'll put some more effort into it.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest The Itis

I read awhile back a cost breakdown of making your own soap versus just buying soap (solid/bar), and while the materials saves you a little, the time you invest tipped the scale the other way.

I think if it's a hobby type of thing, then the time invested shouldn't be counted in that way, but depends on how you look at it. I wouldn't bother making bar soap.

That being said, I make my own liquid soap from bar soap to make use of the tons of hotel soaps and stuff that have accumulated. The price markup on liquid soaps are significant enough that the savings even of buying bar soap to turn into liquid soap and the time is well spent. You still come out on top (unless you make an extraordinary wage)

I'm about to give it a go. I have a beehive so I now have wax and honey. Well, it turns out that the wax and/or honey actually contribute nothing to the soap other than smell and color but I've already started down that path.

I'm about to give it a go. I have a beehive so I now have wax and honey. Well, it turns out that the wax and/or honey actually contribute nothing to the soap other than smell and color but I've already started down that path.

Be careful with the honey. Sugar will super-heat the lye and burn your soap. I have a good recipe for Goats Milk, Oatmeal and honey soap, if you're interested. My wife has a pretty good tutorial on her blog, as well. The tutorial is specifically for keeping the soap from burning...

Also, bee's wax makes an ok mustache wax base. I prefer mine cut with a bit of soy wax because of the high heat at work.

Edited by Razz

Well, had a go last night. Seemed to go reasonably well except at some point after filling the moulds, we got a froth monster.

I think we went a bit past trace. Then when adding the honey, I think I didn't get it mixed in well enough so there was a blob of honey that overheated and boiled. Learning experience I guess.

Hmm Trying to attach a pic. I'm sure I've done it before...

11taki0.jpg

Edited by tnguy

many mango season ago, back in the late 60's i made lye soap.  did not make much, just several pounds with my grandma.  did it to learn how to.  she had some old wooden soap maker that has been in the family for years.  

I wonder how one could melt down small used bars of soap and pour a mold to make a larger bar?

:shrug:

I know there is a method for "rebatching" lye soap but I'm not familiar with the technique.

You can always make cheap, good laundry soap:

4oz shredded bar-soap
1cup borax
1cup washing soda

Works great and is really cheap.