M&P Shield Modifications

I was reading another members review of one of the Apex kits for his M&P and it reminded me that i never got around to doing a write up of a couple of DIY mods that i did for my shield to make it a more enjoyable gun. 

To start off with let me say that there is nothing really bad about the shields stock trigger but there are a couple of things that could be better.  

The first modification i did was to the sear its self. Using a diamond file and some Emory paper i re profiled the portion of the sear that is engaged by the trigger bar.  Basically all your doing here is changing the angle a little bit so it more naturally meets up with the trigger bar and helps prevent some of the gritty feeling.  Next i polished the portion of the sear that engages the striker pin.    This resulted in an overall smother feeling trigger and seems to have lightened up the pull.  I don't have a tool tool to measure it to be sure, but it feels better and thats what i was going for so good enough for me

I dont recommend doing the above modification your self unless you meet one of two requirements.  You are either experienced in doing things like this or your willing to buy new parts.  For me i was on the edge of buying an Apex kit for the shield as i have one in both my other M&P's so i figured what the heck give it a try and worse case id have to buy the kit.

The next modification i did was to the trigger itself and is a modification designed to eliminate over travel.  The trigger guard on the M&P's have a little plastic bump in them that is designed to work as an over travel stop.  The down fall with M&P triggers is that the trigger invariably breaks well before reaching this over travel stop. 

This will be more of a how to

Things you'll need

Epoxy putty

diamond files

Emory paper

To perform this modification you begin by detail stripping your pistol, removing the trigger from the frame.  If you look at the back of the lower portion of the trigger you will notice its hollow.  This mod fills this void and then some to change the shape of the back of your trigger.

Begin by using your file to mark up the inside of that void.  This will allow your putty to have a place to adhere to. Followed by cleaning and drying the area. For me i used a polymer putty that bonds well to plastic.  This can be found in your local walmart and only costs a couple dollars. 

apply the putty into the void causing some excess out the back side of the trigger.  Don't be afraid to have excess as it gets removed later by filing and sanding.  Allow to dry over night.

Once dry begin rough shaping of the trigger using the diamond files.  Remember to leave a little bit of excess, that will be taken care of during the final sanding.  once you have the general shape down with a little excess reinstall the trigger.

With the trigger installed on the gun you make you finishing adjustments with the Emory paper or very fin grit sand paper.   Your going to want to cut your paper into strips to make them easier to use.  Slowly remove material until your trigger is just barely able to break . 

In the case of mine i now have somewhere  around .012 inches of over travel before the trigger hits the stop.  I measured using paper and a micrometer.  My paper was .004 inches thick.  The trigger would beak every time at a strip folded in half or .008 when i added that third layer (.012) It will come to rest without breaking but if i apply enough pressure a little bit of the paper will give and the trigger will break.  adding a 4th layer and it will not break. 

[URL=http://s987.photobucket.com/user/cwillard1983/media/IMAG0214_zps13aa7ed0.jpg.html]IMAG0214_zps13aa7ed0.jpg[/URL]

Since i had it out at the time tinkering with it anyways i took some bright orange high visibility paint that i had and added a drop to the front sight to increase contrast.

I think its fitting to end this post with mentioning that the files i used for these mods were gifts from DaveS during TGO's Secret Santa.  I get all sorts of use out of those things.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

no i didn't take any photo's during the process.  That pic was more to illustrate the change in the trigger shape that results from the modification.  If you at a stock trigger photo its pretty noticeable. 

I'd be willing to do a step by step instructional with photo's start to finish if there is a person in or around clarksville that would like to provide the donor weapon.