Old 6" .38 S&W

midtennchip

My stepfather inherited a 6" .38 Police Special from his father (who we understand inherited it from his father). I have no idea when it was made or the exact model, but it appears to be in great condition. We haven't shot it yet, but I did have a question for those in the know.

He also inherited about 200 rounds of Winchester .38 Special that must be 30 to 40 years old. Other than looking a bit tarnished (like any other old piece of metal), the rounds appear to be in good shape. QUESTION: Would you shoot any of the rounds in the revolver?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also inherited about 200 rounds of Winchester .38 Special that must be 30 to 40 years old. Other than looking a bit tarnished (like any other old piece of metal), the rounds appear to be in good shape. QUESTION: Would you shoot any of the rounds in the revolver?

Sure, as long as the gun itself is sound.

'Bout worst that might happen are squibs.

Of course a squib CAN be very dangerous if the bullet stays in the barrel and you don't clear the barrel before sending ANOTHER round down the pipe!

- OS

Guest tokarev

To be able to give you a better answer, we need a few more details.

Do you have any pics to post of the revolver? What kind of finish does it have? Can you describe any markings on the barrel, frame or grips (or if it's a S&W, open the cylinder and give us the number stamped on the frame, under the barrel, where the cylinder yoke closes against) Does it have fixed or adjustable sights.

Actually, all of that is to satisfy my own curiosity. As long as you know for SURE that it is chambered for .38 special and that the ammo IS .38 special and that the ammo is commercial made (I wouldn't trust reloaded ammo that's been loaded by who knows who 40 years ago) and both aren't corroded, go ahead. I've fired ammo that I've had stored away for 20+ years and regularly shoot milsurp ammo that was made before WW2 with no problems.

howdy midtennchip, are the primers large or small on the ammo in question??

remington[ peters also] made police high speed loads with large primers approx. 1100 FST

western made police high speed loads with small primers ,

old ammos always is tough to answer unless one shoot them in a 357 and they they would be safe , hope this helps, rogue

I only handled it for a moment on Sunday, but it did say "Police Special" on the barrel. My grandfather had a S&W "Police Special" that my cousin inherited years ago (before I caught the gun bug). I'll try to take some pictures this weekend. I agree not risking it is the best option, but the ammo did look to be in good condition. However, it hasn't been stored properly (ie: just kept in the closet -- no cans, no humidity condition, etc.).

Awww, what's the ammo gonna do, get MORE powerful over time?

C'mon..if it ain't eaten into with rust, what could happen, cept not fire or squib?

- OS

No, the ammo won’t become more powerful; but it could be deteriorated. If he had a squib and didn’t realize it, he could destroy the gun or get hurt.

Ammo is cheap compared to what could happen.

i agree...just go buy a box of winchester white box and see what happens....if you decide to shoot the gun. i have a double 12 parkhurst from my grandpa that was made in 1895. it has a crack in the stock so i wont shoot it because i dont want it to get worse.

i also have an old official police, i believe it was made in the '30s but im not sure the exact date. but that is one of my favorite revolvers to shoot at the range. i would say as long as the revolver looks ok and no problems noted, i would try it. let us know how it goes

Well, it turns out the gun is not a S&W. After looking at it more closely, it is a Colt Police Positive .38 Special. I checked the serial number and it appears to be a 1929 model. The gun is close to perfect, with the one exception being a bit of tarnish on the small Colt medallion on the handle. With a little bit of jewelry cleaner, I think that will look good, as well.

Now, despite the concerns expressed here, we did shoot the old ammo today. After looking at the box, I think the ammo was made in the early 1960s. Nevertheless, it fired flawlessly. Obviously, I would be more concerned if we were firing it in a semi-auto, but we didn't see much chance of a catastrophic failure in a revolver.

Bottomline, my stepfather will keep the old ammo (but store it correctly) for an emergency, but will buy new ammo going forward.

• 2 weeks later...