Db? Piston vs. DI.

flyanything

Is a gas piston AR louder than do? I was at a range and the range officer showed up thinking I was shooting a .50. I was shooting a Sig 716 which is a piston .308. I have the AAC brake on it. He said the pistons were much louder than DI rifles. Any input on this?

So you're shooting a 16" barreled .308 with a muzzle brake?  Of course it's loud!  Piston vs DI has nothing to do with it.

Ever heard a Saiga .308 that comes with no brake?  It's deafening.

Never listen to RSO's, except when the say Cold or Hot and other range orders.  They apparently are worse than gun store people.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 7

So you're shooting a 16" barreled .308 with a muzzle brake?  Of course it's loud!  Piston vs DI has nothing to do with it.

Ever heard a Saiga .308 that comes with no brake?  It's deafening.

Never listen to RSO's, except when the say Cold or Hot and other range orders.  They apparently are worse than gun store people.

:bowrofl:

Now that's funny. And true.

• Like 1

Got placed next to a Scar 17(s?) last weekend at the TWRA range on Hobson Pk ... The wind and noise out of the fella's muzzle break was extremely loud and distracting, almost made it impossible to try and zero my new scope.

I finished up my course of shooting a bit early, so an RSO came by to check if my rifles were clear as it was only a couple minutes before they were going cold for a target check/change. Poor guy just about jumped out of his shoes when my "neighbor" took his next shot.

I think I'll switch over to a flash hider, but I do like blowing my buddies hat off though. I don't like to disturb the shooter next to me excessively. It doesn't seem like the piston would be any louder for anything I can think of. The gas is either escaping from the handguard or the ejection port.

Unless you need/want to reduce flash on your 716, I'd say keep the brake on. It probably makes the rifle more pleasant for you to shoot, and shooters nearby can adjust.

When someone's "too loud" I usually just double up plugs and muffs for the next round. I would have moved a couple seats over if the line wasn't full. Even so, I got over it(the wind/noise) and got my work done.

Is a gas piston AR louder than do? I was at a range and the range officer showed up thinking I was shooting a .50. I was shooting a Sig 716 which is a piston .308. I have the AAC brake on it. He said the pistons were much louder than DI rifles. Any input on this?

Instead of directing the air pressure, which is carrying the sound, in a 90 degrees pattern from the muzzle, it redirects it to the sides so it sounds louder, all it's doing is redirecting the sound to your sides.

Edited by whitewolf001
I don't mind the recoil, I don't want to throw off the shot of my neighbor.

"Never listen to RSO's, except when the say Cold or Hot and other range orders. They apparently are worse than gun store people."
Well Said, I guess they don't know the difference between a brake and a piston either. Edited by flyanything