another new to Tennessee hunting question.

Not yet all that familiar to all of Tennessee yet, we have permission to hunt come gun season for deer, but what are some other open areas near Clarksville, where a person can go to shoot other critters that are open during the various seasons of the year. Thanks in advance for any info.

Ron
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of the WMA's in the area are open for hunting, except during duck season when special regulations apply. Fort Campbell is open for Deer (Bow, Shotgun, ML), and small game. Special regulations apply. Same with Cross Creeks and LBL. The area is full of Rabbit, Squirrel, Deer, Turkey and Hunters. Take your pick. We have plenty of wild pigs running around, but they are protected by TWRA.

Good Luck

DaveS

There is plenty of public hunting land within an hour of Clarksville. Fort Campbell, Land Between the Lakes, Barkley WMA, Cheatham WMA, Cross Creeks, and several smaller WMA areas. 

Check out the TWRA website and spend some time reading up on the specific seasons and regs for some of the nearby WMA areas. TWRA breaks the state down into Regions. They show maps with available areas. Some have special regulations like LBL adn Ft. Campbell. It really just depends on what you want to hunt and the spending a little time learning the woods. 

thought the pigs were considered nuisance animals like most areas down south of us? or is that a fort Campbell only thing around here?

That's every where around here. East TN has some pig hunting on WMA's, and you can hunt private land if you find a land owner that will put you on a list to hunt, and/or you can afford to pay him to put you on a list. If you want to pig hunt, out of state is the place to go.

Fort Campbell allows the harvesting of Feral Hogs while deer hunting. There are some fine hawgs out there too!

DaveS

There is plenty of public hunting land within an hour of Clarksville. Fort Campbell, Land Between the Lakes, Barkley WMA, Cheatham WMA, Cross Creeks, and several smaller WMA areas. 

Check out the TWRA website and spend some time reading up on the specific seasons and regs for some of the nearby WMA areas. TWRA breaks the state down into Regions. They show maps with available areas. Some have special regulations like LBL adn Ft. Campbell. It really just depends on what you want to hunt and the spending a little time learning the woods. 

Hunting permits are required to hunt these areas in addition to your regular license. Fort Campbell $40 - $80,  LBL $25, Cross Creeks $15  TN WMA $17 (small game), $51 (small game waterfowl combo), Big Game $17

Figure out what you want to hunt and where then go from there. Fort Campbell is a little tricky, so be careful around that place. They do not allow scouting! There are ways around that though.

Read the TN regs, then re-read about fifty times...then read again! If you're still confused, I'm we can help you here!

Happy Hunting!

DaveS

yes we got here several months ago, but due to the circumstances that we are under right now, it has not given me the full opportunity to explore much. I am certainly going to be making changes to that in the very near future. I have made arraignments to hunt on the owners land that is next to us. With that being the case at least I will get some deer time in as the season rolls around, but would like to get out to experience more. Again thanks for all the info, but 1 more question, what does it take besides the fee at Ft Campbell to be able to hunt there, I have seen several references to that and that sounds interesting. Again thanks for all the input.

yes we got here several months ago, but due to the circumstances that we are under right now, it has not given me the full opportunity to explore much. I am certainly going to be making changes to that in the very near future. I have made arraignments to hunt on the owners land that is next to us. With that being the case at least I will get some deer time in as the season rolls around, but would like to get out to experience more. Again thanks for all the info, but 1 more question, what does it take besides the fee at Ft Campbell to be able to hunt there, I have seen several references to that and that sounds interesting. Again thanks for all the input.

I'd recommend that you drive out to the MWR Outdoor Rec office and talk to the folks that work the counters. We could discuss back and forth, and Dave and I would be happy to do that, but one ride out there will accomplish a lot for you.

You need to register your firearms to hunt with them on post. You also have to have a hunter safety card and current TN license. There is a call in system to get assigned an area. You have to pick up your assignment pass ahead of time. You have several rules that seem a little petty, but could result in loss of privilege.

There is a website that lists all this too. Google Ft Campbell MWR Hunting. The website is confusing to me. If you get through all the Red tape on the front end, it's not that bad to just get out and hunt. My biggest problem with it is my distance from there. I live out near port royal, so it's a good drive to pick up assignments the day before.
I will have to call out there as you mentioned, the private land is about 30 acres total so not real large but has a great deal of wooded area, and not sure if I would see more than a few doe there. Again thanks for all the input, and I do have the Tennessee hunter card and Dl and my ccw.

Thanks

Ron