• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the gun shops, but you will be close to Widener's. One of the best places to get components and

a lot of things gun related in the country.

Beautiful country you're moving to.

There's quite a few gun shops in the Tri-cities area, though I don't think there's many in Erwin. Too many to easily list. I tend to deal with Byrd's in Jonesborough or Mahoney's in JC. Tri-cities Gun Depot in Elizabethton is well-liked, I just haven't dealt with them much. There's also Brackins, Shooter's Edge, Widener's, Dick's, the Wal-marts, Blue Ridge, the Gun Rack, Gunrunners, et. al.  There's easily at least 10-15 in the area, if not more. The only one I really avoid is Monte's, but that's just me. I'm sure somebody's had a positive experience there, so you'll have to check it out for yourself. He is closer to Erwin than the others. Seems like there's a gun show every other month as well.

Guest chuck66

Lots of good shops, but I deal almost exclusively with Mahoney's in Johnson City anymore.  Less BS than the smaller shops.  They aren't a tacticool supply house.  They are an outfitter, and more geared toward traditional hunting, target and self defense.  They have a few ARs, but you won't see racks of FALs, AKs, old Mosins, MP-5s, etc.

Shooter's Edge is a great indoor range, and they have some decent inventory also.  I've had positive experiences with Gunslingers in Kingsport.   I also like the guys at Tri-cities Gun Depot.

Byrds has an impressive inventory, but my experience has been that they price their guns with cash price, and add 3% to the price if you try to use a card.  Be prepared for that and take cash.  Most other places price at credit price and discount if you pay with cash.    

The one place I would absolutely refuse to bother with is Monte's.  Tried twice, didn't care for the experience.