New favorite Bourbon

DaveS

I finally got around to picking up a bottle of Devils Cut. I figured while my brain and fingers were still sorta communicating with each other I would say it goes down pretty easy. Not bad at all for the price. I probably won't care if it tasted like rotgut in another 30 minutes though.

:pleased:

Hopefully not just on the Devil's Cut ... you've got some other things to help out also correct? 

Happy Birthday by the way ... old guy! bahaha  :rofl:

Edit:  not to say Devil's Cut isn't great or that it is "below me" (it's not, I enjoy it also); but surely you don't have enough of this one particular type to last all weekend?!

Edited by npgunner
  • Like 1

Devils Cut isn't the only thing on the menu.....but it's been a good start. Tomorrow night the 'Shine will make an appearance. And it's not the crap you buy in Gatlinburg. This stuff was born in the beautiful mountains of WV. (Man, this batch is so good it'll make you cry)

My brother-in-law owns a bar and swears hes been talking to some guy who just goes by the name of Pappy. He better not be lying..............

And I've earned the right to be this old dammit!!! Thanks for the BDay wishes npgunnre. Yea, I didn't spell your name wrong on purpiss.... :P

• Like 1

got to try some Buffalo Trace the other day that came from a shipped empty barrel.   Literally bottom of the barrel bourbon.   it was not very nice.  It must be what seeped out of the wood after the barrel was drained at the bottling plant.

Tried some Pappy 23 year old about a week ago.  I did not like it.  Way too hot and full bodied.

got to try some Buffalo Trace the other day that came from a shipped empty barrel.   Literally bottom of the barrel bourbon.   it was not very nice.  It must be what seeped out of the wood after the barrel was drained at the bottling plant.

Tried some Pappy 23 year old about a week ago.  I did not like it.  Way too hot and full bodied.

any idea where i can find pappy any year in nashville? none of the 4-5 places i check regularly have it

We tried Pappy last night. I honestly can't tell you what I expected, but I was a little disappointed. It's a good bourbon but I've had $40-$50 bottles I liked just as well. My brother in laws 'liquor guy' gave it to him so we weren't overly sad about it.

I need a good bottle for Christmas Eve, any of you tried JD Sinatra?

[quote name="jimmydeuce" post="1079137" timestamp="1387069505"]We tried Pappy last night. I honestly can't tell you what I expected, but I was a little disappointed. It's a good bourbon but I've had $40-$50 bottles I liked just as well. My brother in laws 'liquor guy' gave it to him so we weren't overly sad about it. I need a good bottle for Christmas Eve, any of you tried JD Sinatra?[/quote] I've got a bottle but haven't opened it yet. JD also has a "holiday select" out that is cheaper than the Sinatra. Both come in neat display boxes, but can't personally vouch for either yet.
Guest Lester Weevils
I tried a shot of the devils cut last night. Tasted OK, not bad. But I never figgerd out how to tell the diff between good and bad, except if it tastes like bug poison. And sometimes even bug poison tastes purt good.

I'm going to have to give Devil's Cut a try next along with a couple others. I picked up some Four Roses single barrel a few weeks ago & honestly hated my first taste of it. It was like a mouth full of charcoal & to be honest it reminded me too much of scotch....& I don't like scotch. Not wanting to give up I've tried it again each weekend for the past month & with just over half the bottle left it seems to have mellowed out a lot (or I've started to aquire a taste for it).

I got a card today saying someone gave me a 'Small Batch Bourbon of the Month' gift for Christmas. I wonder what kind of swill I'll end up getting?? I'm actually looking forward to it.

And to stay on topic, Devils Cut has grown on me a little. I'm still a Vodka whore at heart though.

Had a friend give me these as a Christmas present.  

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/688BDA4E-C43A-41B2-8CBE-EAEE8C415F1B_zpsphrqyoax.jpg.html]688BDA4E-C43A-41B2-8CBE-EAEE8C415F1B_zps[/URL]

One is made with oats and the other rice.  Should be interesting.

• Like 1

any idea where i can find pappy any year in nashville? none of the 4-5 places i check regularly have it

Good luck on finding any of it. It came well out over a month ago.  It is long gone.  dunno if they will release any in the spring or if it will be another Fall release.  

Honestly you are not missing much.  IMHO it is completely over rated.

Good luck. I think many stores keep it hidden for their favorite customers.

we had 23 year old and 20 year old stashed for particular customers.  I think we had three bottles of the 20 and six of the 23.  They never hit the shelf.  We had a fair amount of 15 year old, which was mostly sold to regular customers, employees were also able to hand sell a few to friends and family.   we had a lot of 10 year old and 12 year old.  That did hit the shelf.   We kind of limited sales to one each per customer.  It was completely gone inside of a few days.

I have heard tales from other people around the state who said it was impossible to get.  It is severely allocated and as big as our store is we got a fair amount.  

But there is funny business and I have no doubt some payola going on. One particular store received an amount of the stuff that dwarfed what any other store was able to buy.  Then they jacked the price on it.   

We don't play that game.