Contender Gurus Needed

Sidewinder

Your not prying. No one ever asks.

Cory Richardson
423-653-2778

If you want to talk contenders some time.

Thanks, I'm a newbie to Contenders. Just got mine yesterday, but have been happy that people will share their knowledge of them. A person can read books, and do research on the net, but the guy that has owned them for a while, and experienced the problems or enjoyed the performance, can speak of them with accurate facts. I've learned... in one short day, that the earlier models had a severe problem with being hard to open. I've been trying to lubricate the locking tang/bolt, and roller, and exercise it to see if it helps...and it seems to have helped some. Dolomite said the twin tang/bolt and shortening the spring helps. Have you had any experience with this problem?

I've been on some of the Contender forums, and have read about using an oversize hinge pin to improve accuracy. My barrel wiggles a little when it is open. Is this normal, or a sign of wear. indicating I should consider going to an over-sized hinge pin? I think I read that they were only a little over $6 each. Anyone replaced theirs? Did it improve accuracy, so that you could notice? Mine is tight when it locks up.

Mine has a Tasco "Pro Class" 4x30 scope on it. Is this a decent scope for the .22 Hornet barrel, or should I take it off and put an iron rear sight on this barrel? Anyone have any experience with this scope/barrel set-up? Thanks.

There is one forum that will not let a thread be started about the oversize pins. Seems there is so much controversy over them, that it was splintering the group. I doubt that the average shooter could notice a difference in hinge pins. If it locks up tight, that should be all you need.

I'd leave the Tasco on it if you want to shoot golf ball sized targets at 100 yards(squirrel head size).

With the Hornet you could use pretty much any scope you wanted because there is little recoil. Do you have a picatinny style rail or the factory scope setup?

I would not worry about the oversized pins as long as the gun locks up tight.

Here are the three places I look for barrels and parts:

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=i&

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7946077864

http://www.ebay.com/

If you are wanting the best prices on new, and some used, barrels go here:

http://www.edstc.com/

There is one forum that will not let a thread be started about the oversize pins. Seems there is so much controversy over them, that it was splintering the group. I doubt that the average shooter could notice a difference in hinge pins. If it locks up tight, that should be all you need.

I'd leave the Tasco on it if you want to shoot golf ball sized targets at 100 yards(squirrel head size).

Thanks for your reply Westwindmike. I got the idea of the over sized hinge pin from a website that may have prompted some of that controversy. When it comes to guns and gun owners, there's no shortage of personal opinions...and that's a good thing.

Even though it's pretty heavy, I'll leave the scope on it until I get some personal experience with it. Thanks again.

With the Hornet you could use pretty much any scope you wanted because there is little recoil. Do you have a picatinny style rail or the factory scope setup?

I would not worry about the oversized pins as long as the gun locks up tight.

Here are the three places I look for barrels and parts:

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=i&

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7946077864

http://www.ebay.com/

If you are wanting the best prices on new, and some used, barrels go here:

http://www.edstc.com/

Thanks for the links Dolomite. I have the factory style setup scope rail, I think. Like I told Westwindmike, I'll leave the scope, and the barrel pinfor that matter, until I have some experience with it on paper, in the woods, and just plinking. Thanks again.

The factory setup looks "U" shaped and the scope sits inside of it with a couple of screws to clamp it in place. The scopes are proprietary for the T/C mount and do not work on anything else from what I have seen. I had someone give me a "useless" scope about 15 years ago and I had no clue what it worked on. I looked forever for a set of mounts to use the scope then gave up. Then when I bought my first Contender it had a barrel with a factory mount and then the light bulb went on.

If it is a weaver or picatinny style then it is aftermarket.

The factory setup looks "U" shaped and the scope sits inside of it with a couple of screws to clamp it in place. The scopes are proprietary for the T/C mount and do not work on anything else from what I have seen. I had someone give me a "useless" scope about 15 years ago and I had no clue what it worked on. I looked forever for a set of mounts to use the scope then gave up. Then when I bought my first Contender it had a barrel with a factory mount and then the light bulb went on.

If it is a weaver or picatinny style then it is aftermarket.

I think this may be a Weaver type. It doesn't look like the "U" style you mentioned.

When buying barrels for the earlier models (1969), how do you know if the barrel will fit and function properly? I wouldn't mind having a .223 or .30-30 barrel for mine.

As long as it says the barrel is for a Contender it should fit. Ed's is the place to get a new barrel. Give him a call, he might even have some used ones.

Encore barrels will NOT fit.

Will the barrel have "Contender" stamped on all Contender barrels? I was hoping to find one locally, in used condition, at a fair price. What do you think a used one could be bought for locally? I've gone to Ed's site, but no reply! Thanks.

I've been thinking about getting a 10" .223 barrel for  my older model Contender. In researching this possibility, comparing prices and such, I ran across a troubling post on one of the forums. The poster was complaining that the .223 Rem., when fired from a 10" barrel, was key-holing at 100 yards. I read further discussion that said that the .223 should not be fired from any barrel shorter than 12", and preferably 14" - 15" barrels.

Has anyone on here had experience shooting the .223 out of a 10" barrel on paper, so they would be able to detect any key-holing? Has anyone else experienced this? Because, like Sheriff Buford P Justice in Smokey And The Bandit, I was in hot pursuit...of a .223  10" barrel, until I read this, which caused me to throw the brakes on real quick. I guess a person would almost have to be shooting paper to detect it key-holing.

I'm also considering a .308... probably in a 14" barrel, but was wondering if it might have the same problem in a shorter barrel? Thanks.

I've been thinking about getting a 10" .223 barrel for  my older model Contender. In researching this possibility, comparing prices and such, I ran across a troubling post on one of the forums. The poster was complaining that the .223 Rem., when fired from a 10" barrel, was key-holing at 100 yards. I read further discussion that said that the .223 should not be fired from any barrel shorter than 12", and preferably 14" - 15" barrels.

Has anyone on here had experience shooting the .223 out of a 10" barrel on paper, so they would be able to detect any key-holing? Has anyone else experienced this? Because, like Sheriff Buford P Justice in Smokey And The Bandit, I was in hot pursuit...of a .223  10" barrel, until I read this, which caused me to throw the brakes on real quick. I guess a person would almost have to be shooting paper to detect it key-holing.

I'm also considering a .308... probably in a 14" barrel, but was wondering if it might have the same problem in a shorter barrel? Thanks.

The .308 in 14"  does not keyhole in any load that I have fed it.  BTW, I think the .308 is only Encore, not Contender.

Edited by R_Bert

The .308 in 14"  does not keyhole in any load that I have fed it.  BTW, I think the .308 is only Encore, not Contender.

Thanks, you might be right about the .308 only being Encore. How about the .30-30... probably not in a Contender, huh? What is a good deer round that you know for sure works in the older Contenders? Thanks.

Thanks, you might be right about the .308 only being Encore. How about the .30-30... probably not in a Contender, huh? What is a good deer round that you know for sure works in the older Contenders? Thanks.

G2 Contender maxes out in .30-30  Here are your contender choices from MFG - http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interchangeable-platforms/g2-contender#barrels

Here is another source for reference - http://www.eabco.com/tcpage.html

including several deer suitable calibers.

Edited by R_Bert

G2 Contender maxes out in .30-30  Here are your contender choices from MFG - http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interchangeable-platforms/g2-contender#barrels

Here is another source for reference - http://www.eabco.com/tcpage.html

including several deer suitable calibers.

Sorry to be so uniformed, but I brand new to the TC line of handguns. Only had mine two days. I didn't see too many 10" barrels on the sites you posted. Are they old school...kinda like the 68 Buick?

Sorry to be so uniformed, but I brand new to the TC line of handguns. Only had mine two days. I didn't see too many 10" barrels on the sites you posted. Are they old school...kinda like the 68 Buick?

Not sure. The custom shops can make pretty much anything. I would not know whether they are practical for a given caliber. I defer to the gurus on that.

Go look on the Ed's site I linked. He has plenty of 10" barrels.

http://www.edstc.com/contender.html

And 357 Magnum is a capable deer cartridge. If you want a bit more get the 357 Herrett which is a 30-30 that is shortened and then necked up to 357. I know it is capable of shooting 158 grain bullets really close to 2K fps.

Even a 300 Blackout/Whisper would be more than capable of taking a deer. He has them in 10".

Or another option would be to pick up a barrel in 44 Magnum. They are probably the most plentiful caliber out there and as such are the cheapest barrels on the used market. I have seen them for sale for under $150. He even has one for $110.

And finally if you really want something to put a deer down get a 45-70. Personally I would never shoot one because of the recoil but it would definitely put a deer down.

Go look on the Ed's site I linked. He has plenty of 10" barrels.

http://www.edstc.com/contender.html

And 357 Magnum is a capable deer cartridge. If you want a bit more get the 357 Herrett which is a 30-30 that is shortened and then necked up to 357. I know it is capable of shooting 158 grain bullets really close to 2K fps.

Even a 300 Blackout/Whisper would be more than capable of taking a deer. He has them in 10".

Or another option would be to pick up a barrel in 44 Magnum. They are probably the most plentiful caliber out there and as such are the cheapest barrels on the used market. I have seen them for sale for under $150. He even has one for $110.

And finally if you really want something to put a deer down get a 45-70. Personally I would never shoot one because of the recoil but it would definitely put a deer down.

Thanks for the link Dolomite, and for the other information. Like I said, I'm a newbie at the TC Contender, and as such, do not know what can and what cannot be shot from the older Contender frame. Above all else, I want to be safe, and stay within the limits of the older Contender frame. Is there a list somewhere that tells what barrels can be shot on the older Contender frame? Mine looks new...but only has a five digit serial number!

I'm pretty sure I could use a .223 barrel on my older Contender frame, if I had one. But, is a .30-30 barrel ok to be shot from the earlier Contender frame. I don't have one of those either, but I don't want to buy a barrel that is unsafe to shoot on my Contender frame. I read on some forum that the older Contender frames would "stretch" if a too big a round was fired in them. I'm just trying to be safe. I don't have any extra hands or eyes that I could spare...do without!

If you look on Ed's site those are the "safe" calibers as long as you don't go crazy reloading them. I am sure a hot 45-70 would eventually stretch the frame.

I know a guy who has a 50-70 barrel that he uses to shoot 50 BMG pills at 650 fps. He could go hotter but it would probably damage the gun.

I am wanting a 223 and 357 magnum barrel.

I am also looking for a 22 magnum barrel. I am going to have it chambered in 22 Remington Jet. I am going to use it to reload to 22 LR velocities.