Just picked up a Sig P228

MemHeli

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, you know that without a pic it didn't happen.  :pleased:   Congrats.

I knew that wouldn't fly, went back and added the pic.  Thanks!  I'm excited.  It came with 2 10 round mags.   I'd like to pick up some larger ones asap.  And I need a holster.

Edited by thesquirrel

Very nice. I have a P228, and its one of my favorites. This place is a good site for your mags: http://www.topgunsupply.com/ among others too.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/mec-gar-p228-229-9mm-18rd-magazine-afc.html 18 rounds!  What?  I figured I'd be looking at 13 rounds, but was surprised to see 15 and 18.  I read the 15 round is flush, and the 18 requires some type of extender.  I wonder if the fit is identical to the factory 10 round.  There's a small tail on the 10 that helps with my grip somewhat.  

I also would like to pick up some new tritium sites.  The ones that are on it are spent.  Trijicon should have some kind of buy-back program on these things...

I picked up a P226 tac ops this summer and I love it.  Sadly, I have not had the time to really get fully acquainted with my P226, so as of this moment I shoot my glocks better.  But this is most definitely a ME problem, and not a gun problem.  (I've spent WAYYY more time dry firing/shooting my glocks).

Last time at the range I loaded several mags with a random mix of snap caps and live ammo to try to break my habit of jerking the trigger / reacting to the recoil.  At the end of this practice session I loaded a full 20 round mag and unloaded on some reactive targets and man was it fun.

My whole point is that sigs are awesome guns, and I'm sure you will have lot of fun with it, and you can trust your life to it.  For my next sig I'm looking to get a P220 in .45.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/mec-gar-p228-229-9mm-18rd-magazine-afc.html 18 rounds!  What?  I figured I'd be looking at 13 rounds, but was surprised to see 15 and 18.  I read the 15 round is flush, and the 18 requires some type of extender.  I wonder if the fit is identical to the factory 10 round.  There's a small tail on the 10 that helps with my grip somewhat.  

I also would like to pick up some new tritium sites.  The ones that are on it are spent.  Trijicon should have some kind of buy-back program on these things...

The largest non extended factory p228 mags are the 13 round and they fit just like your 10 rounders.

13 Round factory p228 Mags

Though Meg-Gar makes a 15 round (though I've never tried them)

If you want the capacity of the p226 mags without an aftermarket mag x-grip also makes an adapter to fill the gap.

Adaptor

Allows you to run this factory 15 round p226 mag

If you aren't concerned by a longer mag with a gap I prefer the 18 round mec-gar p226 mags. (flush fit refers to the p226 frame which is longer than your p228)

18 round Mec-Gar p226 mags

Before you get any ideas I already tried it and the xgrip adapter does not quite fill the 18 round mag's gap. :(

Extend the floorplate on an 18 round mag and you get 20 rounds

20 round mec-gar mag

Sig also makes 20 round mags without an extended floorplate

Sig factory 20 round

The p226 X5 had optional 25 round mags, that may very well work in your p228 but I've never actually tried it. 

25 round x5 mags

There are many more variations I've seen but most of these I either own and use or have used previously except where noted.

Edited by 2.ooohhh

Most Sig classic series pistols (226, 228, 229) come with 15 round magazines as standard.

Not necessarily especially with older p229/p228 pistols, all early p228 and most p229 9mm pistols until recently came with 13 round factory mags due to the narrower frame, later 9mm p229 and the m11(a p228 in name only for contractual reasons as I understand) are built on the wider frame of the .40/357 p229 and can accept the 15 round 9mm "e2" mags. 

From left to right- Mec-Gar 18 round p226, Sig factory 15 round p226, Sig factory 15 round p229, Sig factory 13 round p228/early 9mm p229. If you look closely at the 215 round p229 mag between the 7 and 9 witness holes you can see where the mag gets slightly wider like the .40/357 p229 mags. This is why the newer 15 round factory p229 mags won't work in older 9mm p228/p229 pistols.

11278450865_f5ccb85ae1_z.jpg

This image shows the gap with a 15 round p226 mag in a p228/p229. . .

11278488896_93337b6f29_z.jpg

and here is the same p226 15 round mag in a p229 with an x-grip adaptor installed.

11278469605_49e02be0f6_z.jpg

This image shows the larger gap with the mec-gar 18 round p226 mag in a p229.

11278503636_1f4b24cc81_z.jpg

If you aren't concerned by a longer mag with a gap I prefer the 18 round mec-gar p226 mags. (flush fit refers to the p226 frame which is longer than your p228)

18 round Mec-Gar p226 mags

Before you get any ideas I already tried it and the xgrip adapter does not quite fill the 18 round mag's gap. :(

i feel like I saw some type of plastic piece that would fill the gap on an 18 or maybe 20 round mag.   Guess it was a unicorn sadly.  I like the Mec-Gar mags!  Tried them out today.  The gun shoots well and no issues eating ammo.

Just FYI I use the Mecgar 15 round mags in my 229 and they are flush fitting just like the factory 13 round mags. I've had no problems at all with them. I got them from midsouth shooter supply. I can't remember the price but they were a great price. I bought four or five of them. -southernasylum Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]