how much to test until sure - HP reliability

vujade

I have a surplus p6 9mm.

It's great except when shooting HP round #100 something - it failed. Failed to feed - it nosedived right under the bullet guide. I've read that the older p6s have this issue. I've shot about 200 rounds of FMJ without a failure.

I was using Walmart White Boxes.

I plan to take my carry permit soon and would like to use this - i have the holster already and it the gun itself feels really perfect for me.

Of course, a failure like the above would play doubting mind games on me if I ever need to use it. Some have suggested I try different HP rounds so some questions -

1. Any have experience like above and can suggest some to try.

2. How many rounds should I have her eat before she is deemed "reliable"?

3. I heard that hand cycling it isn't an absolute test right? I need to actually fire some shots.

4. I saw a thread somewhere where someone place a screw or rivet on the magazine follower so that the bullets now aim slightly higher and more in line to the bullet ramp - is this safe? What do you think?

5. I cleaned the magazine after the failure - i didn't before. Do you think that could have caused it also?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably have a P6 with the older style feed ramp on the barrel.

P6 pistols with the older style feed ramp on the barrel have shown reliability issues with some types of hollowpoints. Those barrels were designed to shoot FMJ ammo. Heavier grained JHP ammo seems to be the main cause of the problems. I would suggest you try a lighter weight JHP like 115gr. or 124gr. Some have reported good results with 124gr. Speer Gold Dot HP ammo. I would also look into CorBon Pow'R Ball ammo. Pow'R Ball ammo uses a polymer ball to give JHP ammo a FMJ profile.

Also, there is a vendor (Customized Creationz) on SIGforum that offers custom work on P6 barrels to make them more reliable. I have never tried that, so not sure how good it will work, but you might look into that. It is at the bottom of this page: http://customizedcreationz.com/firearms/sigp6p225parts.html.

Personally, I like to fire about 500 rounds of FMJ through my guns to break them in. Then I will fire 200 rounds of the defensive ammo that I intend to carry. If it feeds everything reliably, then I would have no problem carrying the pistol.

Im Neero - I should reclarify - I shoot 200+ FMJ withOUT a failure. It did fail after just a few HPs. These were Winchester White boxes - the type you find at walmart. I think they are 115 gr.

hm. I'll have to debate going with that Customized Creationz as Reservoir Dog mentioned or spending a bunch of money on different HP to try out...

Has anyone tried to polish their own ramp? You just buff the heck out of it and make it shiny right?

I've polished the feed ramp on everything I have. I use 400 grit and follow it with 600 grit sandpaper. After that, I used jewelers rouge (purchased from my favorite watchmaker for $2) and a dremel on low speed. The idea is to make it slick as glass and not to try to change any angle on it. Patience, patience, patience!!!!