Equipment Performance at Defensive Carbine Class

midtennchip

If you are interested in info on the class itself, there's a thread in vendor services. But, here's what I learned this weekend on equipment.

Bushmaster ORC AR-15 -- The gun functioned, for the most part, flawlessly. I had one double feed malfunction, but I am quite sure I caused it with a weak charging handle pull. I did need to lube it up after about 400 rounds, but I didn't have a single gun-related issue other than the double feed.

Tactical Latch (on Charging Handle) -- Well worth the effort. Although it was a pain to install (not difficult, just watch out for flying spring), it made the combat reloads easier

Bushnell Holosight -- GREAT. It worked flawlessly and provided a great sight picture. I couldn't be happier with it.

PMAGs -- These gave me more problems than any other piece of equipment. Admittedly, I caused a number of the problems, but clearly the PMAGs do not seat as easily as GI mags. To even get them to seat properly with a round in the chamber (ie: a combat reload), I could not load more than 27 rounds. To me, they also don't drop from the magwell as easily as the GI mags. I still like the PMAGs, but I realize they have a downside.

Vickers 2-Point Sling -- This is a great sling. The ONLY issue with it is that the quick-release is on the wrong end. It adjusted length with ease and was very versatile.

Ammo -- I used reloaded ammo from Wisconsin Cartridge without issue. We did have one student using Wolf in his AR and he did have some trouble.

Tactical Vest -- I had a tactical vest that featured mag pockets with velcro flaps that covered the mags. I had to cut the flaps off after the first day and just relied on the elastic in the pockets to hold the mags securely. Once I did that, it worked pretty well (but it does take some practice to learn how to pull mags out of it with any speed).

Edited by midtennchip
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Bushmaster ORC AR-15 -- The gun functioned, for the most part, flawlessly. I had one double feed malfunction, but I am quite sure I caused it with a weak charging handle pull. I did need to lube it up after about 400 rounds, but I didn't have a single gun-related issue other than the double feed.

When you clean it, make sure the gas tube is staked properly on the BCG. Most Bushmasters aren't. This will save you some heartache down the road.

Vickers 2-Point Sling-- This is a great sling. The ONLY issue with it is that the quick-release is on the wrong end. It adjusted length with ease and was very versatile.
I abandoned the quick-release and run with QD swivels on mine. This is the standard config recommended by many of the pros over on M4C.
Tactical Vest -- I had a tactical vest that featured mag pockets with velcro flaps that covered the mags. I had to cut the flaps off after the first day and just relied on the elastic in the pockets to hold the mags securely. Once I did that, it worked pretty well (but it does take some practice to learn how to pull mags out of it with any speed).
So-called Ranger Loops on your mags will help with that. Paracord and duct tape or the Magpul plastic versions will work. Paracord and tape are cheap but the Magpul stuff will undoubtedly look better longer if you care about that.

:rofl: