Help with Lee Pro 1000

I know get a Dillon or something else, but this is what I have and can afford. Still makes bullets that put holes in things :)

I purchased a Lee Pro 1000 setup for 9mm. Later I got the 45 setup by buying another 3-Hole Turret, shell plate carrier, and 3 die set. Works great.

Lee also sells the Pro 1000 setup for the .223 Remington. I have everything but the 3 die set. I got one from a TGO member (thanks) and it was a Lee Precision Pacesetter Dies .223 Remington. Not the same that comes with the Pro 1000 setup for 223.

I'm looking for the Full Length Sizing Die, Rifle Charging Die, and a Bullet Seating/Crimper Die that come in the 223 setup. Anyone know the part number or where to get this.

Thanks in advance, Earl

I'm not exactly sure if I,m understanding what you are asking for, but will chime in anyway.  The pacesetter set you have should work in any of the Lee presses, you need a rifle charging die to complete the setup that you are requesting.  That's at https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-rifle-charging-die-90194.html on the FS Reloading site, currently in stock.  The dies that Lee includes with the .223 Pro 1000 are part of the kit, AFAIK there is no set that has that exact combination of dies, but the set you already have has the full-length sizer and the seating die.  Swap the factory crimp die in the set with the rifle charging die and you should be good to go.

I'm not exactly sure if I,m understanding what you are asking for, but will chime in anyway.  The pacesetter set you have should work in any of the Lee presses, you need a rifle charging die to complete the setup that you are requesting.  That's at https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-rifle-charging-die-90194.html on the FS Reloading site, currently in stock.  The dies that Lee includes with the .223 Pro 1000 are part of the kit, AFAIK there is no set that has that exact combination of dies, but the set you already have has the full-length sizer and the seating die.  Swap the factory crimp die in the set with the rifle charging die and you should be good to go.

I was hoping to find the dies that the Pro 1000 .223 press uses so I do not have to deal with 4 dies on a 3 hole press. You do have to use the crimp die I suspect???\ 

Thanks, Earl

No.  If you are not using the crimp die (and many don't) you set the amount of crimp with the seating die.  Look at the instructions for setting up the seating/crimping die and you can find the procedure.

Edit - here's a basic guide from the Lee site on setting up dies.  Find the instructions for the seating die.  http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/RM3508.pdf

The seating die that comes with the Pro 1000 kit (as well as the sizer) is the exact same as the one you already have.

Edited by No_0ne

Your bullet seating die in the pacesetter set should crimp. Did it come with instructions? It will tell you if it does or not. If it does all you need is the charging die that No_0ne posted in post #7 and just not use the factory crimp die

Thanks but the manual states "Easy adjust dead length bullet seating die. This die does not crimp" So back to where I started.

Thanks but that's what I have now. I'm looking for what comes with the Press "Full Length Sizing Die and Rifle Charging Die and Bullet Seating/Crimper Die" Kit

I have the full length sizing die. Queen of Ice cream (thanks) gave a link to the rifle charging die. No if I can find the Bullet Seating/Crimper Die (one die). I'll be good to go.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Do me a few test loads.

Size 3 pieces of brass.

Now the fun part,

using the bullet seat die, with no bullet,

back the seating die out 4 good turns.

run the 1st piece of brass up into the die.

Now turn the seat die down till you feel the neck start

to enter the "crimp" part of the die.(just do it)

You can take the bullet seater plug out and look down into the die to see this.

Remove the 1st piece of brass and compare it to the other 2 pieces if brass.

See if it started to crimp, if not turn the seating die down 1/2 turn and push the brass

back up into the die, repeat as needed till you see the crimp start to form.

It should "roll" crimp. Red arrow is where the crimp will happen.

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/RifleEZadjBSdie_zps9f42e9e6.jpg.html]RifleEZadjBSdie_zps9f42e9e6.jpg[/URL]

Edited by RED333

Thanks but that's what I have now. I'm looking for what comes with the Press "Full Length Sizing Die and Rifle Charging Die and Bullet Seating/Crimper Die" Kit

I dont think you are going to find a die set that comes with the rifle charging die, because I am pretty sure they dont offer the rifle charging die in a die set. Here is a die set that the seating die applies a roll crimp  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/440144/hornady-custom-grade-new-dimension-2-die-set-223-remington  then all you need is the rifle charging die. I am not seeing any of the lee dies say that it applies a crimp in any of the 223 dies. I have Lee 223 dies and the seater will not apply a crimp.

If you plan on keeping the die set you have now then just buy this seating die instead of whole new set.

Thanks Superman. I just ordered the rcbs seater/crimp die and Lee Precision RIFLE CHARGING DIE that the Emperor of Ice-Cream suggested. that should fix my problem I think.

Thanks for everyone's coments and suggestions

Thanks for everyone's coments and suggestions

You are more than welcome, good luck, you are now entering the reload world.

I have more than one set of dies for every caliber I shoot.

Some more than 2 sets, some more than 3 sets. LOL

I have a micro adjust for .308 and 7mm rem mag, very nice dies.

• Like 1