Suggestions for reasonably priced ($500-$900) shotgun

catsbackr

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the market for a new reasonably priced semi-auto shotgun.

I have looked at some of the lower end Benelli's and Beretta's. Any other suggestions?

Saiga 12 if you can get your hands on one.

Lets back up a minute.

At 500-900, you have a ton of options, but we need to know what you intend to use your autoloader for.

Home Defense? Sporting Clays? Killing Donald Duck?

Post of your intended use and goals for this new shotgun, and im sure you will get better feedback.

BTW; I have at least two (maybe 3) Saiga 12 shotguns in stock :rolleyes:

Guest gcrookston

+1 for what Joe said. Shotguns are reasonably specific in their applications. A good clays gun won't be ideal for home defense and visa versa. A duck gun can fall short on the skeet range. Moderately priced shotguns exist, but your application is important to determine which one is right for you.

(I have a Montefeltro, Winchesters 50 and 24 for game, a 682 for clays and "had" an M1S90 for home defense).

Don't tell Joe, but I've been ignoring his M4 for several months.

Guest gcrookston
The shotgun will be used primarily for upland bird hunting, dove, quail, pheasant, etc. And glockmeister, thanks for the pm, I will try and call later today.

In this case, I would look for a 28" barrel autoloader with choke tubes. A Remington 1100 or 1187 2nd hand will leave your budget with money in your pocket. a New 1100 should be well within reason.

I'm partial to my Montefeltro, which I purchased 2nd hand for under $600.00, but some complain about their recoil (after shooting a few cases of shells through a 682, one hardly notices).

A Beretta 390 or 391 new should run you at the high end of your budget, but used they tend to be in the $500-700 range, although if selecting a used gun, I would avoid the early Ureka's as certain plastic internal parts had breakage issues which were resolved in the newer guns.

Then I would look at a Beretta 390/391 then. They are versatile and a joy to shoot. The Benelli are nice guns as long as you stick with their higher end auto loaders like the SBE. You can find a used one in your price range. The lower end guns are not so hot. Try and shoot a couple first. The Beretta is gas operated, the Benelli inertia operated. Some like one, some like the others. My dad prefers the Benelli, I prefer the Beretta. Both are made by Beretta, both are quality firearms.

There are tons of choices really.

Look here for some ideas of prices on used auto loaders

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=74&sid=08ee98f7ba755ed9bcf2d249556d6e65

Edited by Warbird