Pocket Watches

Guest semiautots

Pocket watches are very collectible.  They come plain and fancy.  American watches are usually 14 karat gold or gold filled (low gold content).  American watch brands include Waltham and Elgin.  The stem can be at 12 O'clock or 3 O'clock.  They can have a front cover or not.

If you want to spend big money, look for a swiss watch.  European watches are generally 18 karat gold.  Patek Phillipe is generally the most sought after brand.

Google "Pocket Watch Collecting" and you'll get many good websites.  You'll learn about the different sizes, how the watches were made, what a Railroad Watch is, and what a Tourbillion is.

Good luck!

sig:... Im an old pocket watch collector myself... I really like and can heartily recommend the old Hamiltons... Iv'e got several 992's with the railroad face (...Montgomery dial, every minute is numbered ...)... Railroad watches are traditionally 17 jewel and up (...most are 21 jewel...), lever set (...ya have to screw the face off and pull out a lever on the front of the dial to set the watch...) and most are in gold filled cases...I really like the ones in a "bar case"; which is designed so the bar of the bail goes over the top of the winding stem and protects it...  

Most of these old watches are either in Hamilton or J Boss cases... When they were originally done; you could pick out the watch works and mate it to the case you liked at the jeweler's shop....  The yellow gold filled cases are the most prevalent of the lot; but there are a few white gold and silver cases out there too... A few were done in what is called "base metal"... I've got a military 4992 with a 24 hour dial that is base metal... It has the contract number that the watch was built under engraved on the back... These watches were either for navigation or artillery use....

The Hamiltons were built from the 1920's (...ive got one from 1925...) right up thru the 1950's... They were replaced by the Bulova Accutron, and later the quartz watch of various flavors; the best of which is Seiko....

I've told ya all the good stuff about 'em; now for the bad.... The first is that they have turned from being tools to work with to being collectables... This drives the cost up and allows for some unscrupulous folks to cheat ya if they can; so buy from someone ya trust and has a good reputation in this business... Secondly, they are fragile; ive had several repaired over the years due to broken balance staffs, they simply don't like to be jostled.... Thirdly, they have to be serviced regularly and that's a problem... These original watches were meant to be inspected, adjusted, and serviced  by a real watchmaker... That is a big problem now... The guys that used to do this stuff and were watch inspectors for the railroads are most all gone now or way up in years... Every one of my watches need to be cleaned and oiled right now; but all my old watchmakin buddies are all gone over the sunset hill and there aren't any around my neck of the woods that i would trust with these watches.... This is far and away the biggest problem with them....

Lastly, I'll list the watch brands (...railroad...) that i like and try to list them in order of worth from high to low... Some folks may not like my listing and provide their on... Here goes: Illinois Watch Company (.... Bunn Special....); Ball Watch Company (...predecessor of Hamilton Watch Company, i think...), Hamilton Watch Company (...my favorite, 992, 992E, 992B, 950, 950B, plus some military stuff labelled 4992B...), Elgin Watch Company, Waltham Watch Company... Watch cases are J. W Boss, Hamilton, or others like Elgin or Waltham....

There is one more thing i need to mention... That is watch chains... The "best of the best" (...for railroad men, that is...) was Simmons... Naturally, they are collectable too and they cost lots of money... Most were 1/10 -10 carat gold filled... There is another chain that is good too; but i cant think of the brand right now... But, all that bein said; the Simmons wuz the king of the chains...

Hope this helps a bit... If ya need some more info send me a PM...

Have fun lookin and collecting!!

leroy the pocketwatch man

EDIT... See the bold above... There aint any 31 jewel watches as i originally posted!!!

Edited by leroy

Wow Leroy, that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.  Thanks!  I've seen a number of Hamilton RR watches for sale and wondered about them.  Not knowing anything about them is a scary prospect with just picking one up, with the prices where they are and all.  The white gold ones are sweet looking, do you have one?

I was really wanting one to carry and use, not just admire. With what you say, I'm thinking that is probably not a good idea.

• Like 1

Sig... Sadly, carryin one of these old mechanical watches on a daily basis is pretty risky... I have relegated mine (...sadly...) to wearin with a suit on extra special occasions.... I carry one of these when im in the mood to carry a pocket watch in a vest pocket:   http://www.goldmountaintrading.com/fulensilpocw.html

I've bought from the Gold Mountain guys; they are an ok bunch...

The Montana Silversmith's watches are good ones and ya wont mourn too much if something happens to it....

RE:  White gold or silver... Got one; a bar case 992... It wuz pretty hard to find years ago...

leroy