New to Knox County - moving from MD

Guest Guitar1616

Guest Guitar1616

Hey everyone -- An opportunity arose from work, for a transfer from Northern MD to Knoxville.  I couldn't be more excited to get out of the state of MD, and truly look forward to getting settled in TN!  

I'm looking at houses/properties and trying to find out as much information possible on the laws for shooting legally on my property:  what is the required distance from other homes/properties; how many acres are required; what cities/counties permit this; etc.  I've been browsing this forum for a good amount of time now and still haven't really found exact answers, which is the main reason I'm posting this.  I've gathered most answers to be either contact your local Sheriff's Office, and/or contact a 2A Attorney in the area and get the truth.  I'm not sure a 2A Attorney is going to take time to assist in answering my questions without making a buck, and it seems like many here are saying their police departments will respond with something similar to, "I think..." or, "You should be safe/okay..."  I'm looking for the honest, legal truth.  

Has anyone within a half hour outside Knoxville done so already, or do you know the laws for which ever area you reside?  If so, please let me know which counties and cities I am safe to house shop, as well as the minimal amount of land I should include within my browsing.  

Any legal [no B.S. opinionated] links or information is greatly appreciate in advance, seriously.  

Thank you! 

Edit:  Also, aside from shooting, I enjoy playing guitar, drums, mountain biking, hiking, putting around town on the Harley, and once I purchase another dirt bike, trail riding.  

Edited by Guitar1616

Stay outside of any city limits.  Most counties around Knox are OK as long as you are doing it safely , but it will piss off the residents in some hoods. 

Otherwise the rules are pretty simplistic. That's why we are the Patron State of Shooting Stuff.  The most onerous are the hunting regs of TWRA.

I would suggest that you get an apartment for a short period, and explore the area before you choose where to live. Most cities prohibit discharge of firearms, and most TN counties have no regs on it at all beyond state-level)

No minimum acreage, but you will be responsible for where the projectile ends up. 

far-north Knox, Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne counties are my personal favorite. 

What area will you work at?

Edited by R_Bert
Guest Guitar1616

I will be working the "West Knoxville Territory," as my supervisor has informed me.  Everyday I will be driving to different areas for my job, so I'm looking forward to exploring all the surrounding areas.  

My girlfriend (and soon-to-be fiance) has been in Knoxville since the end of November.  Our apartment lease will be running up soon here, so I was thinking it may be best to look into just purchasing a house and some land.  Although my dream would be to own a nice chunk of enough land to ride dirt bikes AND shoot, I'll honestly be grateful if I can simply shoot, legally.  

I just found a decent looking place in Powell, TN with 8.5 acres, but I am curious if it'd be legal to shoot there.  

Edited by Guitar1616

I will be working the "West Knoxville Territory," as my supervisor has informed me.  Everyday I will be driving to different areas for my job, so I'm looking forward to exploring all the surrounding areas.  

My girlfriend (and soon-to-be fiance) has been in Knoxville since the end of November.  Our apartment lease will be running up soon here, so I was thinking it may be best to look into just purchasing a house and some land.  Although my dream would be to own a nice chunk of enough land to ride dirt bikes AND shoot, I'll honestly be grateful if I can simply shoot, legally.  

I just found a decent looking place in Powell, TN with 8.5 acres, but I am curious if it'd be legal to shoot there.  

legal, yes.  Smart?? depends.  Better look at it.

If you move into or near a subdivision, expect the Sheriff Deputy to come by and explain that someone griped.  Then he will want to talk guns and maybe shoot a round or two.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

Welcome to TN. Here's some good info about TN gun laws.... http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

Most areas allow shooting on your own property as long as you're safe (duh...) & outside the city limits. I'm not sure about distance from propery lines, etc., but you might give the local sheriff a call & get familiar with the area. There are also several good gun ranges within driving distance. I wish you well. The East TN area is a great place to be & TN as a whole is very 2nd Amendment friendly. Remember that Beretta is moving down here too. :usa:

Guest Guitar1616

Thanks LMB. I'm extremely stoked to get down there!  :)   I really appreciate the link.  

Mannn... I tell ya':  Decisions in life!  :head shake:  I can't get over the dream of being able to target shoot in my backyard all day on a Saturday, or Sunday, but there's always a price to pay.  It seems that I'll either have a so-so house, on a decent amount of land, or a really awesome house on no land.  

Do any of the ranges around Knoxville have a skeet & trap range, pistol range, and long rifle range (say, up to 600 yards)?  If so, I'm debating if I should get over my dream of having land, and just go with a nice, newly renovated or built home, and maybe looking into another place with land, down-the-road.  

Guest Lowbuster
My dads farm ( Morristown tn ) is split by the county/ city line. The county line is 160 feet from the road back on the farm. It was explained by the police that I had to be behind that 160 ft line to legally discharge our firearms. We measured it by a apple tree that's about 175 feet and a fence post. But we are legal at the county side of the line.

Oh welcome from east tn / to east tn

If you're mainly working west Knoxville, you might consider Anderson County (if you have kids in school) or Loudon County if you just want acreage and some wide open spaces. Knox County will work as well but price per acre is starting to get pretty crazy even in the far west Knox boonies.

Do any of the ranges around Knoxville have a skeet & trap range, pistol range, and long rifle range (say, up to 600 yards)?  If so, I'm debating if I should get over my dream of having land, and just go with a nice, newly renovated or built home, and maybe looking into another place with land, down-the-road.  

I am a new member on this forum too, but have been in Knoxville for 20 yrs + now.  Check out the Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association (http://orsaonline.org/) for the ranges you mentioned plus more.  Their high power competition range is out to 1000 yds and they have a pretty active skeet/trap program.  They also host many events, competitions, and classes.  Membership fees are reasonable at $120/yr for family IIRC.