"What are you so afraid of that you have to carry a gun?"

It is not a new idea but I still like something along the lines of, "I don't have any special fear of fire but that doesn't mean owning fire extinguishers is a bad idea..  I don't fear flat tires but that doesn't mean I don't carry a spare.  I am not afraid of the dark but I carry a flashlight.  Likewise, I don't have any, specific fear of being the victim of violence but that doesn't mean carrying a gun, just in case, doesn't make sense.  You wouldn't ask such a stupid question about fire extinguishers, spare tires or flashlights so why would you ask such a stupid question about my gun?"

Or, in the interest of DaddyO's desire just to cut them off, maybe something along the lines of, "I'm not particularly afraid but if a threat does arise then asking it dumbass questions about things that are none of your business won't stop it."

Yeah, I know that probably doesn't do much to 'educate' but I figure that any stranger who comes up and asks me such a loaded question isn't looking to learn anything.  They are looking to be a smartass and so should expect me to respond in kind.

One answer I never will give,  and no offense intended to those of you who think  they are this.  But I am not a sheep dog, I have no intention of using my carry gun to save anyone who is not a loved one of mine.  I DO NOT carry to protect anyone else.   You are on your freaking own.  If you get shot and maimed because I did not pull my gun to save you then Oh Well.  Too bad for you.

Yes, yes and YES.  Most adults have the same option as I as far as getting a carry permit and carrying a handgun.  If they choose not to exercise that option then far be it from me to second-guess them.  I haven't met a stranger, yet, who I think is worth risking my own life and safety to protect.

I once had an anti ask something along the lines of, "In a mass shooting, how would you be helping matters by starting to shoot back across a restaurant and killing more people in the crossfire?"  My response was, "Such a thing isn't a concern because if I were across the building then I'd be getting my family/friends and getting the heck out.  The rest of you folks are on your own - and I'll bet you would suddenly wish you had a gun."

Edited by JAB

"They're after me lucky charms!"

Ask a stupid question, etc...

I love it.  Made me think of this, possible response:

"I'm not sure.  I mean, I'm not particularly fond of guns but the voices keep telling me I should carry one."

Or even:

"The neighbor's dog told me to."

Edited by JAB
You could always go stupid on them too. "Gun?! Where?! I hate those things!" Someone smarter than myself will come up with business cards that can be handed out to nimrods. They'd say something to the effect of "Hello, if you are holding this card you may have asked me about my firearm. I carry a weapon for reasons including but not limited to..." Then you could just hand them a card and walk away.