Republicans break ranks with McCain

Guest Honest AK

Guest Honest AK

"Senior members of the Republican party are in open mutiny against John McCain's presidential campaign, after a disastrous period which has seen Barack Obama solidify his lead in the opinion polls."

"From inside and outside his inner circle, Mr McCain is being told to settle on a coherent economic message and to tone down attacks on his rival which have sometimes whipped up a mob-like atmosphere at Republican rallies."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/republican-leaders-break-ranks--with-mccain-959301.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
What would be an appropriate source?

Seeing as it's an American Presidential campain, it would go to reason that having a well-respected U.S. news source would add credibility.

CNN, nor anyone else that I see at the moment, is reporting any such story. They do, however, have the Clintons/Biden joint effort and McCain's "I'll crush Obama in debate" stories (among others) on their main pages. No mention of any such Republican mutiny.

As much as the Obamians and media love to hype up the Democratic candidate, especially at the expense of McCain, you would think they would have this story all over their news coverage. But, as I said, no mention at all (yet?). :P

Guest Honest AK

quoted directly from the article:

"Two former rivals for the party nomination, Mitt Romney and Tommy Thompson, went on the record over the weekend about the disarray in the Republican camp. And a string of other senior party figures said Mr McCain's erratic performance risks taking the party down to heavy losses not just in the presidential race but also in contests for Congressional seats. Mr Thompson, a former governor of the swing state of Wisconsin, said he thought Mr McCain, on his present trajectory, would lose the state, and he told a New York Times reporter he was not happy with the campaign. "I don't know who is," he added"

Are you saying this didn't happen just because it was reported by a UK news source?

Guest Verbal Kint

Are you saying this didn't happen just because it was reported by a UK news source?

I'm simply stating I (personally) don't put much weight into it being factual until I see a credited U.S. news source covering it.

Everyone, by now, knows the Republicans are on a sinking ship unless something dramatic happens. I'm sure the party is in a chaotic state, more and more as November approaches and Obama's lead increases in the polls. Anyone can draw their own conclusions from that.

But, like I said, I'm not going to put much stock in a story about the American Presidential race that's being covered only (at this point) by the UK, Argentina, Zimbabwe, or Afghanistan. :P

Don't take that as an attack on you, in anyway. It's not my intention. I would expect this kind of story to be in the news any day now... as it seems to coincide with (my view on) reality and how things seem to be going... but the source just seems odd to me and no one else is covering the story yet.

Bottom line... the U.K. media is whacky as bat ****. I don't trust them, and take what they say with a grain of salt regardless of who they quote or what they say.

Edited by Verbal Kint
typos, as usual.
Guest Honest AK
I'm simply stating I (personally) don't put much weight into it being factual until I see a credited U.S. news source covering it.

Everyone, by now, knows the Republicans are on a sinking ship unless something dramatic happens. I'm sure the party is in a chaotic state, more and more as November approaches and Obama's lead increases in the polls. Anyone can draw their own conclusions from that.

But, like I said, I'm not going to put much stock in a story about the American Presidential race that's being covered only (at this point) by the UK, Argentina, Zimbabwe, or Afghanistan. :P

Don't take that as an attack on you, in anyway. It's not my intention. I would expect this kind of story to be in the news any day now... as it seems to coincide with (my view on) reality and how things seem to be going... but the source just seems odd to me and no one else is covering the story yet.

What would you say has been McCain's biggest mistake? I still say Palin was the nail in the coffin. She's got the base baying for blood at the rallies but I'm not sure that is going to win over undecided voters.

Guest Honest AK
Well, if you like the UK news source so much why not move there and you can have all the deactivated guns you want.:P (Just Kidding)

I lived in California for a couple of years. That was enough time spent outside the US for me.

Guest Verbal Kint
What would you say has been McCain's biggest mistake? I still say Palin was the nail in the coffin. She's got the base baying for blood at the rallies but I'm not sure that is going to win over undecided voters.

Honestly, I think McCain has just been way too passive in his campaign and hasn't done or said anything to boost his image or popularity.

Obama is a fresh face, youthful, and paints the picture that he's actively attacking the issues with a new approach and with a sense of vigor. (I think I'm going to vomit after saying something that could be viewed as pro Obama.) That whole "change" thing he keeps spouting. When people look at McCain, they see his age and hear the same thing that "all those other old guys" have said years before. It's nothing fresh so no one cares.

He's also sat back and not really attacked Obama on issues and nailed him to the wall like he should have. This past town hall debate was the first sign of any real life out of him when he challenged Obama. However, it was too little too late... and Obama was still heiled as the victor.

The whole Palin thing? I still think she can be a good VP. However, the baggage she brings along has definitely hurt McCain's public view, IMO. I keep hearing people say that if McCain had chosen Hilary Clinton he'd probably be winning. Maybe... maybe not. But I'd rather have Palin as a VP than Clinton any day.

I just think McCain has been doing too little this entire race. With time winding down, I don't see him doing or saying anything to pull him out of the hole he's dug. Everyone is infatuated with Obama and his "change", and just sees McCain as old and stale. As they say... image is everything. Unfortunately, I see Obama becoming our next President due to this. :P

Guest Honest AK
Honestly, I think McCain has just been way too passive in his campaign and hasn't done or said anything to boost his image or popularity.

Obama is a fresh face, youthful, and paints the picture that he's actively attacking the issues with a new approach and with a sense of vigor. (I think I'm going to vomit after saying something that could be viewed as pro Obama.) That whole "change" thing he keeps spouting. When people look at McCain, they see his age and hear the same thing that "all those other old guys" have said years before. It's nothing fresh so no one cares.

He's also sat back and not really attacked Obama on issues and nailed him to the wall like he should have. This past town hall debate was the first sign of any real life out of him when he challenged Obama. However, it was too little too late... and Obama was still heiled as the victor.

The whole Palin thing? I still think she can be a good VP. However, the baggage she brings along has definitely hurt McCain's public view, IMO. I keep hearing people say that if McCain had chosen Hilary Clinton he'd probably be winning. Maybe... maybe not. But I'd rather have Palin as a VP than Clinton any day.

I just think McCain has been doing too little this entire race. With time winding down, I don't see him doing or saying anything to pull him out of the hole he's dug. Everyone is infatuated with Obama and his "change", and just sees McCain as old and stale. As they say... image is everything. Unfortunately, I see Obama becoming our next President due to this. :(

I bet that was rather difficult. :D Interesting observations as always. :P

Guest Verbal Kint
I bet that was rather difficult. :D Interesting observations as always. :P

Aye, but I did say "paints the picture" and not actually does/is. :(

As I said... people are infatuated with the image he's portraying, so reality doesn't even matter at this point. I think, sometime in the next 4 years, the cold face of reality is going to hit people like a freight train... and they'll realize they're just as ****ed as the rest of us, and that they are the ones who put him in power.

Guest Dean_JC78

I really dislike McCain and hope the premise of the story is true. McCain picked Palin which was awesome but then they tried to handle her too much and make her parrot some of his leftwing ideas. Then came the economic crisis and his solution is the same as the Democrats to socialize everything instead of standing up for the free market.

I just want to see some sense knocked into the man. Don't get me wrong, while I might strongly dislike McCain, I hate Obama and think he would do untold damage to our Republic of which we may never recover.

I think, sometime in the next 4 years, the cold face of reality is going to hit people like a freight train... and they'll realize they're just as ****ed as the rest of us, and that they are the ones who put him in power.

It will be good when the Dems get to face that reality and confront their own "what have we done?" awakening. Much like what us Repubs have had to do with George II. Turnabout fairplay.:P

Palin was McCain's only saving grace. The bailout was McCain's nail. The polls (oversampled as they were) support that. However, do remember it was not too long ago Obama's campaign was in "death throws" with calls for Biden's withdraw, ect. These stories always come out in elections and seldom hold much merit.

I for one can only hope that McCain is waiting until their last debate to really light into Obammie the Commie and bring up the issues of the people in his campaign and the birth certificates that have been proven to be fakes.

I am not really holding my breath though.

Guest Dean_JC78
Palin was McCain's only saving grace. The bailout was McCain's nail. The polls (oversampled as they were) support that. However, do remember it was not too long ago Obama's campaign was in "death throws" with calls for Biden's withdraw, ect. These stories always come out in elections and seldom hold much merit.

Quoted for truth here. Palin was his only saving grace so far. He was on the right track up until the first debate when the crisis started and he back the Bush/Obama plan that most Americans hate instead of pushing for a free market solution and explaining the real reason we are in this mess instead of the Obama line of its because of the "Greedy". Since then it has been all down hill. I think McCains problem is he honestly has no clue at all and is just going with what his advisors say.

Well, all have written off McCain, Obamie has now a double-digit lead, unless McCain can s--t gold, during the debate tomm. all is lost, so stock up on aks and ammo!

Guest Honest AK

Almond,

Those were Republicans.

Anyway, these numbers are from a left leaning website:

www.electoral-vote.com

Strong Dem (235) lightblue.gif Weak Dem (45) whiteblue.gif Barely Dem (77) white.gif Exactly tied (0) whitered.gif Barely GOP (26) lightred.gif Weak GOP (24) darkred.gif Strong GOP (131)

Oct14.png

www.electionprojection.com is said to be a right leaning site and has these numbers:

Electoral Votes:

Popular Vote:

Barack Obama 369

Barack Obama 53.15%

John McCain 169

John McCain 44.85%