Mossberg 500 make over.

Troutburger

Well, I finally had a chance to put some new clothes on my old Mossberg 500.  I've had this thing for 20 years or so. It started life with a wood stock set and a 28" barrel. 

Now its got a hogue LOP stock, and a mossberg synthetic forearm. 

The barrel is an 18" mossberg slugster barrel that King Armory worked over. Cut it and installed one of their breaks to get the required 18".

The original plan was to add a MI single point sling adapter, but it was not really compatible with the soft texture of the hogue stock. The adapter would allow the stock to twist as it did not catch the lug at the base of the receiver. 

One of these days, I'll get around to duracoating all of it the same shade, but not really in a rush for it. 

Haven't got to shoot it yet, but its short and light. Sure its gonna kick like a mule, unless that KA break has some sort of magical recoil reducing powers.

• Like 1

Does it have the metal sliding tang safety or is it plastic? If you need a metal replacement tang safety Brownells' carries them and I'd recommend a slightly stouter spring for under said tang safety. I have a 500 of my own where I did all of this retro fitting and like it but prefer the 590 or 870. To make a long story short the 500 does a greet job in everything but an extended tactical SG course. The 590 holds up better but the 870 is bullet proof. This of course is speaking from personal experience and information relayed by some really experienced firearms instructors. Louis Awerbuck really didn't care for the 500 but would try to help keep you running with it.  

Guest kingarmory

Does it have the metal sliding tang safety or is it plastic? If you need a metal replacement tang safety Brownells' carries them and I'd recommend a slightly stouter spring for under said tang safety. I have a 500 of my own where I did all of this retro fitting and like it but prefer the 590 or 870. To make a long story short the 500 does a greet job in everything but an extended tactical SG course. The 590 holds up better but the 870 is bullet proof. This of course is speaking from personal experience and information relayed by some really experienced firearms instructors. Louis Awerbuck really didn't care for the 500 but would try to help keep you running with it.  

Actually, a better fix is to slightly countersink the detents in the plate, it will positively lock the safety in the on or off position without making it stiff.

This one has a plain metal safety. It's going to be a house gun only after a few range trips. I have a 20" 590a1 for classes and stuff. I also added king's magazine follower. That thing is much much smoother than the old factory one. I had the old metal follower freeze up duck hunting once. Don't have to really worry about that with delrin. My wife really likes the size weight of this one over the 590, which is a bonus. b07c7393cc68ccb3b3326916008e7e21.jpg

Nice to know about the countersink trick on the safety detents plate, will keep that in mind if another 500 follows me home.

My 500 Persuader is my HDSG but now has a fixed stock on it, I've no use for pistol griped SG's. I totally agree on the 500's lighter weight being a plus unless I'm shooting slugs out of one.