ruger P85 FTF price?

Guest bigsack

Guest bigsack

so my dad called me on Friday and told me he is wanting to get a semi-auto before the election. he is one of those people who has a gun and only goes to shoot it after he buys it and never shoots it again. but he's always had a revolver. but any way, he likes my old sig P6(225) but they are getting hard to find and when you do they are extremely high. so that's the back story.

anyway i think i may have found and ruger p85, the guy wants $375, it comes with 3 mags and 2 boxes on ammo. is that a fair price? i don't know much about rugers

Edited by bigsack
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY
Sounds fair. I wouldn't call it a GREAT deal, but with the extras, I'd jump on it if I were in your position.

+1

Nothing special, but a fair price. The P85 won't win any beauty contests, but it's damn near bulletproof.

Looking at GB for P85’s that completed in the last 90 days brings up about 133 auctions. Of those only 13 had bids. Of those 13 it looks like only two actually sold and they went for under $200. Even of the ones that didn’t sell; most were priced under $300.

I don’t pretend to know anything about the P85, but that’s just a way to check prices and cut through the BS of high asking prices and see what they really sell for.

You can get a P89 at Guns and Leather for around $350 or so. I had a P89 for a number of years and loved it, so I can say from experience that Rugers are awesome guns. They are great guns for target practice and taking to the range, but if your dad is planning on carrying the P85 I would not recommend it. They are rather bulky and more difficult to hide. But if he's just wanting to go to the range it's a good gun. As for the price at $375, if your dad is set on it, I would see if he couldn't talk the price down some. Or check around at some stores first.

Guest bigsack

thanks for all of the replies guys. i don't see him going to the range alot unless i can drag him out there. but anyway, i don't think he is wanting something to carry on his person, he's a small business owner who works by himself and im thinking he's wanting something other than a 5 shot wheel gun to keep behind the counter. he lives and works in goergia and has their carry-permit so all of that is all good. like i said as far as i know he don't know a whole lot about semi-autos but i think i know enough to get him going. if i had the money i'd just try and get it myself.

Guest Rugerman

I would not pay that price for a used Ruger, but that is just me. Especially when I had a P95 I got for under $300 delivered brand new. I'd ask him to go down on the price, even with the "extras".

Guest tbreed725

I wouldnt give more than $250 for a p85 and if its an original 85 and not a mark 2 you need to make sure the safety has been upgraded as the original had some problems , as well the barrel on the p85's were a 2 piece affair if i'm not mistaken and werent that accurate

Guest bigsack

i think the hard part is getting my dad off of his wallet. i highly doubt seeing him pay 400+ anything, bless his heart but he has no clue of what anything really costs. but i guess that means i have research to do. like i said before he don't know a whole lot about semi autos, but he wants one.