where to get a "mexican mossy" in chattanooga

Guest bigsack

Guest bigsack

I've been researching and decided that i "need" a shotgun. from what i gather, for my "needs" the Maverick 88; a.k.a. "mexican mossy," is ideal. im looking for the 20'' barrel with 8 round mag tube. its relativly inexpensive and heard good things about their action/reliability. now with that settled, i need to figure out where to get it. unfortunately there isn't very many gun shops here in chatt-a-vegas, at least not any that keep any kinda stock on hand. and from my measly experience what stock is on hand is over priced and not what im looking for.

i'd prefer to buy "local"(lets say withing an hour or so) than to get one from someplace like gunbroker. i want to fondel it before i lay down the cash. and there is also the added step of finding a FFL to do the transfer and crap.

i've also seen a wide range of prices on these. higher and lower than whats listed on the Maverick sight, which is around 210 for that particular model. im not sure its an updated price but what should i look for/ expect to pay?

thanks for bearing with another rambling post:up::usa::up:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

I always go to sportsmans warehouse to fondle guns and then to skip's or hero gear to buy. skip won't have it in stock but can get in a day or two and has great prices.hero gear might have it and will have great prices, just a scenic trip is required

Guest pjblurton

I went to my local shop and they odered me one for $201.05 + Tax/TICS. $229.65 out the door.

Saw it a week later at the gun show for $199.00 so anything around $200 is reasonable.

Academy is running the 6 shot version for $179.99. (Extension tubes will not work BTW)

FWIW, I think the quality is VERY comperable to my Mossberg 500. The safety is in a better location on the 500's. But since I don't leave one in the pipe I don't use it.

Accessories that fit a 500 will fit the Maverick as well, with the exception of trigger assembly. All parts are made in Mexico and are assembled in Texas, possibly by the same Mexicans...

I have shot everything from 3" Magnum 00 Buckshot to 2 1/2" #8 without so much as a hiccup. I keep mine parked next to the bed as I assume that is what you are looking at this one for.

bigsack

-------------------

Drop by GT Distributers on Rossville Blvd. They sell to the general public these days. Since many police forces are trading in their shotguns for AR guns....they get a lot of the trade ins.

I picked up a Mossberg 590 for $190 OTD earlier this year. They get new stock all the time. Had a regular 500 for $175 a couple of weeks back. If you are in that area you owe it to yourself to drop by there.

Closest place that actually stocks the Maverick line is Academy in Nashville. Around $180. They are great guns, but that safety must take 35# to slide to fire position. The tang safety is what is great about the 590/500.

Guest bigsack

yeah i have been to sportsmans whse to fondle, they didn't even have anything close to what im looking for, as far as a home defense shotty. i've been to carters, he had a mossberg defender or what ever you call it. but wanted an arm, leg and my left "juevo":screwy: i have also been to GT, thats a nice place but again what they had in stock was above my pay grade, and they didn't have any LEO trade ins.

i guess the search continues...

Bought 2 of the 88's for my boys in 20 ga. Picked up the 500 rifled slug barrels w/scopes from Buds for $150 and they are hunting sabots with them this year...$350 invested for a pump shotgun and a weapon to hunt deer with...not bad! They have been 100% reliable...good value for the $

Maverick 88 6-shot is Hofman Castle "Alpha System". I have it in a Home Backup Protection bed rack on my side of bed. I own several Mossbergs and I can't find a bit of difference in quality between "Maverick" and "Mossy" A lot of good gun for a little money!