.223 40gr Vmax load development (pic heavy)

Finally getting around to working up some loads for my 20" ar. I built this one with the light rounds in mind. (20" 1 in 12" twist barrel)
20150703_205012_zpsvajrlvdx.jpg

Last night I loaded up some ladder loads using Hornady 40 grain VMAX bullets and some CFE-223 powder.

20150702_151846_zpspqbn9gsd.jpg

Started out at 27.5 grains of powder and went up in .2 grain increments. Now this wasn't exactly precise, I was using my Hornady powder measure/scale that has an error margin of +-.1gr.

20150703_205324_zpsygr73j3f.jpg

Made it to the range this morning and set up my Chrony at 10' from the muzzle as per the instructions.

20150703_130026_zpszcp3cs5j.jpg

I fired 10 rounds of each load across the chrono, two rounds at a steel plate at 200 yards and then a 8 shot group at 50 yards. Each group was fired while sitting with a rest under the front of the rifle and the stock against my shoulder. No optics on the rifle just yet so just used magpul flip-ups.

Anyway, my best group came from a load using 28.1gr. My average velocity with said load was 3160.07 fps (10 feet from muzzle) with an extreme spread of 203.71fps. I figure that is probably due to the +-.1gr of the powder measure. Next I'll load up some at 28.0gr, 28.1gr and, 28.2gr using my balance beam scale to fine tune the load. The 8 shot group measured 0.750 center to center.

20150703_191402_zpsds3yluzq.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of this rifle and load combination.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic