New shootin' glasses

Guest Len

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

I've been lookin' at those myself Len. They looked terribly impressive when I looked at the website but the money is the sticker for me. It's not that I don't have it it's just that I'm so freakin' cheap. However, I really love not only shooting but my eyes as well and both would be worth investing in these lenses. :)

OK, I'm inching ever closer :P

Heck yes! Those have been on my wish list for a while now, for the same reason (prescription lenses). How long did it take for you to get yours?

3 business days from the day I placed the order at opticsplanet.com till arrival at my doorstep. Note, they are good-to-go out of the box if you don't wear glasses. Next, I headed over to my local eye guy with the carrier. He said "no problem" and sent them off. Its usually 5 days or less, but there was a problem, so it took a few more. My optician took the opportunity to make a couple of minor adjustments to the carrier to meet my particular needs and to assist with comfort. The carrier is very flexible to fit any shape of lenses you might need or desire. The eye guy also made sure the lenses were polycarbonate for durability. Randy (eye guy) is a shooter as well, so knew what I needed. I suggest avoiding the one-hour optical places for special orders such as this.

• Administrator

Awesome. My Oakleys are prescription with polycarbonate lenses, but they don't work very well on overcast days or when shooting indoors. My regular daily wear lenses are polycarbonate also, but they don't provide the sort of facial coverage that shooting glasses ought to.

The good news is that prescription glasses like this fit under my health benefits here at work. So I can fudge a little and make them prescription shooting glasses if I so desire. :P

You can get the Wiley Xs in prescription as well. They have a "LA" or light adjusting lense on some of their glasses that automatically darken when it's bright or lighten back up when in low light.

Guest Hyaloid

Those are excellent glasses, and you actually got a very good deal on the price of the lenses.

I have fit many shooters in Transitions lenses as well, they can adapt to ambient light... ie. they are pretty dark in direct light, and they are moderately dark on a cloudy overcast day, and clear inside. They come in polycarbonate and can either be grey or brown in most prescriptions.

[soapbox]

I would ABSOLUTELY encourage folks to stay away from the one hour places and the strip mall locations, as we term them in the industry as "doc-in-the-box" locations. On average, they are refraction mills, and many times quality can suffer. I cannot begin to tell you how much pathology is missed, and I see the patient in my chair who was recently exqamined by a doc-in-the-box, and it was missed. Support your private practice eye doctor / little guy! [/soapbox]

Agreed! Believe it or not, I did my PhD dissertation on dr-patient communication at an eye clinic. I've also been a corrective lens wearer since I was 16 and have virtually every eye problem known to humanity somewhere in my family, so for a layman, I know my stuff. My insurance covers annual checkups from an ophthalmologist, so I get the deluxe exam each year. The local "docs in a box" are all about pushing frames and quick turn-around, and not about quality exams or refraction.

[soapbox]

I would ABSOLUTELY encourage folks to stay away from the one hour places and the strip mall locations, as we term them in the industry as "doc-in-the-box" locations. On average, they are refraction mills, and many times quality can suffer. I cannot begin to tell you how much pathology is missed, and I see the patient in my chair who was recently exqamined by a doc-in-the-box, and it was missed. Support your private practice eye doctor / little guy! [/soapbox]