ACA compliance for veterans (who don't want to have health insurance)

Sam1

OK, so I think I stumbled upon something that may help the people that don't want health insurance, are vets and don't want to pay for ACA/IRS compliant plans.  First, my disabilities are not service-connected so I currently get no medical benefits from the VA.  However I have been enrolled in the healthcare system from years back when I first got out and was in school full-time (they provide free healthcare for students or at least used to). *My situation may change in the near future though and will be applying for benefits due to situations that caused exposure to radioactive materials, among other things*

Fast forward to today and I get a letter in the mail from the VA that has a form 1095-b showing that I was covered for the entire year with a compliant insurance plan.  It costs nothing to register with the VA system if you're a vet, if you seek services with them, they just charge you based on your income level for those services. (I don't understand how it all works since I never go there for help, so you need to do your own homework on it.) Anyways, I was not aware that just being registered in the system counts as an actual health insurance plan in the eyes of the IRS.

I have to have legit insurance due to the seriousness of my health issues, but understand that a lot of people don't want, nor care to worry about it.  If you're a vet, this may be something to consider.  Attaching a pic of the letter that came today - not attaching the 1095-b cause of personal info being on it.

Hope this can help someone that may not need or be able to afford those ridiculously priced insurance plans.  Go get registered in the system!

20160102_192247.jpg

Edited by Sam1

Yeah, this was the CYA aspect of it all, so that the administration couldn't be accused of any anti-veteran stuff.  Anything at all provided by the VA, even the pay-go style you have is good to go with the ACA mandate rules. 

At the core of it, you actually do have health care through the VA, it's just not the traditional HMO plan, and you just have it subsidized based on income like you said.  Not a bad option for relatively healthy vets who come off of active duty after an enlistment or two.  They can use it until they establish jobs and get better coverage through an employer, or have it cover them if they have to go job to job for a while and can't get full coverage, such as they do when they go back go school.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

Dolomite got the same thing..Do I understand this right..we dont have to do anything, right?

If you got one of these letters and on the form it has you and him listed, it appears you are good to go.  Wish I was healthy, I'd sure as heck be on this, would save a few thousand a year.

Edited by Sam1

You have to be enrolled in the VA healthcare system. Any of you folks that are vets and are not at least enrolled, get in the system. Iwaited until I was almost ready for retirement and got enrolled. As I have great retirement insurance, I seldom use the VA except for my annual physical and my hearing loss.

Please get in the system.

Jim