New Holster Question

Just got a new D.M. Bullard leather IWB holster for my Sig P232. My gun fits pretty tight and draw is not real easy. Any input on breaking in a new holster or suggestions on products I can use to treat the inside of the holster to improve the draw would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :eek:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Best advice... just wear it and use it. It will break in naturally.

However, if you want to speed up the process, there are a couple things you can do.

1) Place the pistol in a plastic bag and insert it into the holster, then leave it there for several days. The added material will give it a little looser fit, without stretching it too much.

2) You can use products like Leather Lightning. Coat the inside of the leather holster, and leave the pistol in the holster for several days, or wear it around the house for several days so you can get used to the feel of it while the holster leather stretches around the pistol.

But, back to my original suggestion... just wear it and use it as is. The leather will naturally loosen up to the fit of your firearm. Don't worry about it. :eek:

Just got a new D.M. Bullard leather IWB holster for my Sig P232. ...

Which one, the Dual Carry or one of his single clip models?

Tight before you wear it, or about the same on or off your body?

(single clip ones often tighter while wearing because you're squeezing it with clip area right on thickest part of gun, while double clips off the gun area don't put as much pressure on gun area).

Mr. Soze is right though, in either case, USE it, lots of drawing and reholstering.

The plastic bag trick can work, too...put it in that way and work it back and forth some, then leave in there, often just an hour or two can make a pretty big diff...

- OS

Thanks for the suggestions. It is the single clip tuckable model. It is about the same both on and off. Think I will just try the USE it method. Just break it in naturally. :eek:

Seems to be a well constructed holster. Does a good job of concealment. My wife didn't even know I had it on. It is pretty comfortable with the P232. Also got the same style holster for my P229. The P229 is pushing the limits for IWB but is still functional.

Thanks for the suggestions. It is the single clip tuckable model. It is about the same both on and off. Think I will just try the USE it method. Just break it in naturally. :eek: ...

Sounds good. David makes great stuff, it ought to serve you well.

- OS

IMO just wear it. Practice drawing the weapon some (unloaded of course). The only other thing I would suggest if you want to speed up the process is to wrap the pistol in one layer of waxed paper and insert it in the holster and leave it for several days. Same principal as the plastic bag but the wax will help it slide a little better when you are done. Just remember it's easier to stretch the leather than it is to shrink it back, so patience is the best policy.

Guest Verbal Kint
Just remember it's easier to stretch the leather than it is to shrink it back, so patience is the best policy.

+1

That's why I always just wear it and use it, and forgo any of the "break in" techniques or other voodoo. lol.

Guest RISC777

With the Sig in, twist the Sig back and forth some, or/and use your hands at the sewn lines to flex them. That might assist in loosening it some but not too much. Other than the above suggestions, that's all that comes to mind. The draw practice is probably something you'll almost without thinking. :) Nothing like the trying out of a new holster.

Wrapping the gun in wax paper rather than a plastic bag will give slightly better results and allow for impregnation of the leather allowing for longer life and less "finish abuse" in the long run.

I agree it is fun trying out a new holster. Now if that darn permit application will just get processed I can enjoy wearing the holster on a daily basis. Now I am just limited to wearing it around the house to break it in. :)

Again, thanks for all the input. Very helpful! :)

Guest pjblurton

I use one of David Bullards holsters for my every day carry. It was very tight fitting at first but was a perfect fit within a week of normal use.

Heck, when I first got it I was concerned that I wouldn't even be able to draw the weapon if I needed to, but it's like "butta" now!

I use one of David Bullards holsters for my every day carry. It was very tight fitting at first but was a perfect fit within a week of normal use.

Heck, when I first got it I was concerned that I wouldn't even be able to draw the weapon if I needed to, but it's like "butta" now!

Which holster ya got?

What gun?

- OS

Wrapping the gun in wax paper rather than a plastic bag will give slightly better results and allow for impregnation of the leather allowing for longer life and less "finish abuse" in the long run.

That explains why my Performance center S&W 629 Carry comp came wrapped in wax paper, that is the only firearm that I own that came that way