RC Helicopters

chipperi

As if I could afford it with my company calling off our bonus, Christmas dinner, and our gift card. I have found a new hobby if Osama manages to ban guns. Unfortunately it costs the same if not more than guns. RC Helicopters, you aughta see these things, the problem is every time you crash you just slammed $1000 in the ground. Are there any RCer's in here by any chance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Was heavy into RC cars before (several thousands of dollars worth, and dozens of trophies), and have flown a few planes as well. Never got around to the heli's, but always wanted to own one. My fear, like you, is watching them smash into the ground and be out hundreds of dollars.

They're supposedly one of the hardest remote control vehicles/aircraft to learn, just like a real helicopter. Granted they have the simulator hardware and software for your PC, to make it easier, but it's still supposed to have a very steep learning curve when it comes to actually operating them.

Best of luck, if you choose to get one. Would be interested in hearing about your experiences, if so.

Guest cgs2326

I have two RC Helicopters and have lots of crashes under my belt :cop: if you have any questions or need some info on how to get started the right way send me a PM and I will help you out as much as I can.

Guest Verbal Kint
I have two RC Helicopters and have lots of crashes under my belt B)

:P

That's pretty much how it works, I guess... I don't think you can have one without the other.

I would suggest you invest in the Real Flight R/C Flight Simulator. It's as close to the "real deal" that I've been able to find.

I would also locate an AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics/Aeronautical Modelers Association) Club in your area. Most clubs will have designated trainers, and often have planes/helicopters for training purposes.

Get ready to spend some serious cash. Even when you're good, it's far from a cheap hobby.

Enjoy.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Yep, it can be very expensive. I know first hand. I tried the helicopter thing and just could not grasp the controls. I spent approx $200 for every crash. I stuck with the RC plane side of the house. The best route to go is the simulator. See if it's something you can fly and stick with. I prefer an airplane because its easier to glide in if the engine fails, instead of the auto-rotation sequence. I never could get that right.

I'm currently building a 1/12th scale AC-130U. (132" wingspan/95" length) I have been at this for more than 2 years and think it will take a few more years to complete.

I had one of the dual rotor helicopters (not the $20 dollar wal-mart ones) that cost me about $150. Worked great, tiny learning curve, and fun to fly. Still have it but its in pieces, one of the rotor motors died in flight, and you can imagine the rest. I would like to get into the R/C cars. Something gas as electric took to long to charge.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cocolama.htm << The helicopter I had

Edited by ScottD

I was into RC stuff for a while. I thought I was going to be smart and buy the Real Flight Simulator and practice on it first. So I did and was pretty good at it so i thought i would move up to a real helicopter. I got a bigger electric one and put the "training wheels" on it, the big sticks on the bottom so u can learn how to hover. I took it out 2 times and had a rotor strike the 2nd time out. i fixed it and sold it as fast as I could. i wanted to get some money out of it before I totally destroyed it. The simulator is fun but i will stick to guns for now. Maybe airplanes one day....

-Jason G

Guest Major Pain

Been into RC for many years, prefer planes. Tried helicopters but steep learning curve and very expensive, never did get very good with them. Into pylon racing in younger days but reflexes slow down and the planes seem to get faster.--MP