Anyone calling any yotes?

Guest Rem_700

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welll i do have a question though, is it illeagal to hunt over a carcus i have a friend who has a cattle company and we always hear yotes howling around the boneyards day and night its kind of odd to hear them howl in the middle of the day for me, but i dont know if that would be considered baiting what do yall think?

I've known of people shooting over chicken carcasses in pits behind broiler houses. I've put a thanksgiving/christmas turkey carcass in the field and got one 4-6 yrs. ago. Don't know cattle bones wouldn't be effebtive and legal.

well if you have ever been around a big feed lot,you know the cows that sometimes come in are not as healthy as they should be,i know it sounds bad but when they go down they go to a boneyard for their final rest. and the carcass just feeds the scavengers like the pet buzzards.

Found this. I don't hunt over bait so I never really checked into this maybe I should have.

Can I hunt over bait in Tennessee?</SPAN>

70-4-113 (a) states that it is unlawful for any person at any time to make use of any pitfall, deadfall, cage, snare, trap, net, baited hooks, poison, chemicals, explosives, set guns, spotlights, electric lights or torches, bait, which includes any grain, or mixture of any ingredients, used as or for food purposes, or other devices for the purpose of killing, injuring, or capturing any birds or animals protected by the wildlife laws of this state, except as otherwise expressly provided.

It is TWRA's policy to permit the use of salt in both loose and block form, provided the majority (i.e., at least 51% by weight) of the formulation consists of salt or other minerals, then the formulation is not considered bait.

Proclamation 07-04 (7) states that hunting over a site where bait has been placed to feed wildlife is prohibited unless the bait has been removed at least 10 days prior to hunting.

This is directly for Coyotes. Will have to dig further unless someone else knows.

Coyotes

Can coyotes be hunted year around with a centerfire rifle?

No they cannot.

Private land:

Season open year-round, 30-minutes before sunrise to 30-minutes after sunset.

Legal equipment:

During big game seasons, a legal big game hunter may hunt with what is legal during the particular big game season. If not licensed to big game hunt, shotguns with #4 shot or smaller, rimfire rifles, muzzleloaders, and archery is allowed.

Other than during big game seasons, all rifles (centerfire or rimfire), muzzleloaders, archery, shotguns with T (0.20 inch diameter) or smaller shot may be used.

Possession of firearms is prohibited while chasing coyotes with dogs from the first Saturday in November through the end of the deer season.

Wildlife Management Areas:

The season is open when another small game or big game season is open.

Legal equipment:

When the small game season is open – equipment legal for hunting the small game that is open.

When the big game seasons is open – coyotes may be taken by legal big game hunters with any big game equipment and ammunition that is legal for the season open.

Is it legal to use an electronic call to hunt coyotes?

Yes. It is legal to use an electronic call (during daylight hours only) for all game species except for fox, wild turkey, and waterfowl.

This was taken from TWRA web site.

I think over dead animals that have died and not moved it is legal, but if you place bait it is illegal. Kinda like deer hunting it is legal to hunt over a field that has been planted for agriculteral purposes, but if you place corn in the same field it is consider baiting. Hope I am making sense.

Edited by Hunting101

perfectly good sense, the way i took it is that it is legal to hunt on areas that are baited as long as the bait wasnt placed there for that purpose. it is fine to hunt around a dead cow as long as it wasnt placed there to bait for a hunt. i knew baiting wasnt legal but i had never seen the law in writing.

perfectly good sense, the way i took it is that it is legal to hunt on areas that are baited as long as the bait wasnt placed there for that purpose. it is fine to hunt around a dead cow as long as it wasnt placed there to bait for a hunt. i knew baiting wasnt legal but i had never seen the law in writing.

Yeah thats how I took it. Glad it made sense.

they are legal to use as long as they are removed prior to hunting the spot.

Yes you are correct except it is TWRA's policy to permit the use of salt in both loose and block form, provided the majority (i.e., at least 51% by weight) of the formulation consists of salt or other minerals, then the formulation is not considered bait.

i know i was reading about coyotes on extremepredators.com and they had a man to study their eating habbits, and did you know that 30% to 50% of their diet is grass?

The young ones will also have grasshopper parts and other larger insects during the summer months.

I had a black lab that would pull muscadines off the vine. Dogs and Coyotes are more omnivores than cats are.

• 2 weeks later...
Well here is some of my coyote calling gear, had to dig everything out since deer season is over. I am going next weekend. This will take up some time until turkey season opens, then after thats over I will be back at it again.

DSCF1801.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg

Im not that far advanced yet i shoot a savage model 12 22-250. as far as a call, like i said before its a white ipod and a camo speaker.

Guest Bronker
Well here is some of my coyote calling gear, had to dig everything out since deer season is over. I am going next weekend. This will take up some time until turkey season opens, then after thats over I will be back at it again.

DSCF1801.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg

I have nearly that same gun set-up. When are we going!?!?!?!?!?

If i ever got the time i wouldnt mind going with some more experienced hunters, i need to learn the tricks of the trade,i have been hunting yotes for about 10 years and have never gone with anyone who is an avid hunter, so i just try different things and see what works and what doesnt. i was talking to a guy the other day who had been meat hooking them well thats what he called it, he takes a big trebble hook with meat on it and hangs it from a tree limb with steel cable the yotes jump up to get the meat and are hooked, that sounds kind of rough to me.

If i ever got the time i wouldnt mind going with some more experienced hunters, i need to learn the tricks of the trade,i have been hunting yotes for about 10 years and have never gone with anyone who is an avid hunter, so i just try different things and see what works and what doesnt. i was talking to a guy the other day who had been meat hooking them well thats what he called it, he takes a big trebble hook with meat on it and hangs it from a tree limb with steel cable the yotes jump up to get the meat and are hooked, that sounds kind of rough to me.

I believe baiting coyotes is illegal.

I think it is also but i was refering to the hook i wouldnt that be illegal also? i dont know if it would be or not but it doesnt sound very sportsman like, his excuse for it is they are getting calfs and he doesnt own any.

I think it is also but i was refering to the hook i wouldnt that be illegal also? i dont know if it would be or not but it doesnt sound very sportsman like, his excuse for it is they are getting calfs and he doesnt own any.

Yeah that would be baiting and trapping with illegal traps.