.22 ammo experience

Guest Todd@CIS

Guest Todd@CIS

A couple of days ago I was out shooting three different .22 pistols.

Walther P22...Ruger 22/45...Advantage Arms/G19 Conversion

Previously, all three pistols had been 100% reliable with Remington High Velocity (carton), Remington Subsonic, and CCI Subsonic.

On this day I decided to shoot Winchester (550 round carton bought at WalMart).

All three pistols choked and would not run on Winchester (I rarely got through a full mag without a malfunction). Most of the malfunctions were "failure-to-ejects", but there were others as well.

Pistols were clean/lubed.

Conclusion? If it had been just one gun I would have thought it no big deal. But all three? I won't be buying any Winchester rimfire ammo again.

PS. The Advantage Arms manual specifically says that it will not run with subsonic ammo...my AA conversion (bought from a board member) shoots it all day long.

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 22/45 has had the same brand problems. It runs great on Federal Bulk Pack or Remington Thunderbolts, but put Winchester in it and it won't feed the second round. The second round takes a nose dive into the bottom of the ramp and deforms. Change back to Fed or Rem on the same mag, no problems.

I have also had a problem with Wal-Mart’s Winchester .22 ammo. I thought it was the gun for the first 200 rounds. I finally gave up and bought a generic brand and then a box of Remington and have not had any problems since. Gave the Winchester brand away to a guy I new I would never see again. LOL.

Guest Bronker

The Winchester is crap. I cleared FTE's all day in my 10/22. As described earlier, they would hang on the feedramp and be so malformed that they would not chamber. They've been downgraded to single shot plinking. The Remington Gold is SFSG.

Guest pjblurton

I got 200 Winchester .22's before Thanksgiving and while shooting them I could hear several that sounded weak and noticed almost no recoil from them. Yea I know .22's don't have much recoil to start with but you can tell when you shoot one...

Either way there was a bunch of them that were very weak and if it were something with a stronger spring I could see a FTE happening...

On a related note they were dirty as hell too...

My father in law and I went out over thanksgivving we each bought the bulk pack a walmart, he got Remington I got federal. I had on end of problems with 10/22 and my 22 conv AR with the federal ammo. Both did fine with the remington and some CCI I had and both have preformed well in the past with other ammo including remington thunderbolt. I don't know if the quality of ammo in general has gone down or it is just Walmart. I know the ammo manufacturers claim the don't produce cheaper ammo for walmart but you have to wonder.

Guest Astra900

I have problems out of Federal. The old red box Fed's were :D. They won't even extract in my RUger MkIII. I stick with anything made by CCI. Mini Mags and Stingers are hard to beat. However, Remington's Viper load is good also.

Guest RISC777

My apologies to the party I gave away the remainder of a box of the same at that Mid TN shoot !!

Hopefully it didn't give the problems I had with it !

Had the same issues with a Remmy 597. That white box stuff is crap.

I have used all three of the bulk packed .22's Federal, Remington and Winchester. I shoot them out of several different auto loading .22's. I can't say I have had a worse experience with any of the three brands. All of them seem reliable.

Out of my bolt action Savage .22 Federal works best. Dunno why.

Now when shooting the Ruger Single Six the only failures to feed

are operator error :D

My apologies to the party I gave away the remainder of a box of the same at that Mid TN shoot !!

That was me. It shot great in my Ruger MKIII Hunter, but would not shoot in my Ruger 22/45. Go figure!

Seriously, thanks for the ammo. I shared it with the lady with the new Sig Mosquito and I think it ran ok for her too.

Coop