Horizontal Kydex Sheath For BK24

Horizontal sheaths require a lot more design and work than a vertical one. I assume that's why they are more expensive and fewer companies make them. Using leather as an example, a simple vertical leather sheath can be made from a single piece of leather, adding only a welt. Even without the extra bells and whistles, a horizontal one like this, requires 3 or 4 times the labor. I spent nearly 35 hours on this one.

81b0e28988fb418931022282ae0111be.jpg

I've tried horizontal Kydex holsters, but they are hard to design to be comfy, because you can't integrate the belt attachment with the body of the sheath. It has to be much beefier, so it has to be attached to the sheath differently. About the only really good way to make one is to add a Tek-Lok attachment and even then you have to design the sheath in a way that the Tek-Lok has a flat area to attach. All-in-all, I'm just saying, I love horizontal sheaths, but they are a pain in the ass to make and almost unaffordable to buy.

Edit: I hope somebody does share an affordable source for well-made horizontal kydex sheaths. I'd rather buy one than to make one.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

Horizontal sheaths require a lot more design and work than a vertical one. I assume that's why they are more expensive and fewer companies make them. Using leather as an example, a simple vertical leather sheath can be made from a single piece of leather, adding only a welt. Even without the extra bells and whistles, a horizontal one like this, requires 3 or 4 times the labor. I spent nearly 35 hours on this one.

I've tried horizontal Kydex holsters, but they are hard to design to be comfy, because you can't integrate the belt attachment with the body of the sheath. It has to be much beefier, so it has to be attached to the sheath differently. About the only really good way to make one is to add a Tek-Lok attachment and even then you have to design the sheath in a way that the Tek-Lok has a flat area to attach. All-in-all, I'm just saying, I love horizontal sheaths, but they are a pain in the ass to make and almost unaffordable to buy.

Edit: I hope somebody does share an affordable source for well-made horizontal kydex sheaths. I'd rather buy one than to make one.

Kydex should be a piece of cake for you. But on that leather, why can’t you just either sew on a long horizontal piece or put cuts for a belt in the sheath?

Kydex should be a piece of cake for you. But on that leather, why can’t you just either sew on a long horizontal piece or put cuts for a belt in the sheath?

That will likely work for a small of the back sheath, like the one above, but that's the only position where the stiff sheath (due to blade inside) would not encounter a curved part of your body. You might be surprised how even a slight curve, like at your 4:00 position, makes it impossible for more than one loop for the belt to pass through. You usually end up with a single spot on the sheath where you can put a loop, so it has to be very strong.

Thanks for the replies so far. Still looking for an affordable solution. Meanwhile, I rigged my stock sheath with paracord loops and it's not too bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

post a pic, curious to see how ya did it

The first site looks very promising... :shrug:
"Horizontal Sheath
$22 + Shipping, clip extra"

http://kydexsheath.com/gallery.html
http://kydexsheath.com/index.html

2 days, no answer to email from sharpsheaths.com :shrug: they mention possibly needing to send my knife in to them. I'm not likely to do that, nor wait 2 months. Paracord loops working OK so far. Sheath is less than ideal.

• Like 1

2 days, no answer to email from sharpsheaths.com :shrug: they mention possibly needing to send my knife in to them. I'm not likely to do that, nor wait 2 months. Paracord loops working OK so far. Sheath is less than ideal.

10 4   Hate to hear that.

Edited by hughd
Undeliverable: Mora horizontal sheath
postmaster@mail.hotmail.com

Tue 8:34 PMsharpssheaths@gmail.com

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

sharpssheaths@gmail.com
Edited by hughd