So it IS possible to get a non resident NY permit

Just have to meet certain criteria. 

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Broome-and-Susquehanna-County-Sheriffs-create-pistol-permit-agreement--376279971.html

It's a step in the right direction but I seriously doubt it will "take a few weeks to be looked over."  NY residents won't be pleased if non residents can get a permit that quick while residents can wait sometimes up to a year to get one.  Just wonder how long the whole thing will last until Chairman Cuomo shuts it down.

Well........sort of. You have to own real estate in one of those two counties and also prove that you occupy that property "part time". Even then the time it takes to get a permit in NY varies greatly depending on the county. Last time I spoke to anyone that knew Broome county was at 6 months+/-. Much of that is the 3 backround checks, county, state police, & FBI. All are done separately using one of 5 sets of finger prints taken at application. Three people must provide character references for you all must be NY residents and preferably within the county of application. There is more but you get the point.

So you see its really not much of a possibility after all. This is one of the many reasons I moved to TN...

• Like 1

Oh, I know.... I use to live in that commie state.  I remember the application with the reference cards.  But I'll give them an "E" for effort.  At least they're doing something positive instead of searching vehicles for guns and throwing them in jail.

Some county sheriff are OK and don't have a problem with law abiding citizens having a CCW permit. I lived in one of those county's for many years, then a new sherif and new judge changed it all overnight and no more new CCW permits. The NYSRPA has done a good job fighting the SAFE act etc. I'm still a member just to support them in those efforts. It's good, but I'll never see meaningful reform in my lifetime...

I still have my NY carry permit, technically not valid anymore since I have moved to TN. I came from a gun friendly county. I belonged to an organization call SCOPE that was fighting the gun laws. The judge that issued all the permits in that county and the Sheriff were members and regularly came to the meetings. At the last meeting before I moved I talked to the judge to see if I could turn my permit into a non-resident permit. He carefully didn't answer my question because by the way the state law is written the answer would have been NO. He instead told me under what circumstance he could legally approve an out of state permit. I would have to have an address in NY that would forward any mail I get and state that I will be visiting that address on a regular bases. Regular was not defined. I have friends that I could use to forward mail, but still have not decided if I will. Starting in 2017 if they get all their expensive database in order they will require re-licensing every 5 years. I don't want to go to all the bother if they will just take it away from me next year when the state controls licensing instead of the county. We don't plan many trips back so.....

I would guess Broome county will get shut down quickly once the state mafia here about what they are doing.

Jim...