Coon Hunting

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Anybody do any coon hunting? I go once or twice a week with my good friends here in town. There is nothing like working a good dog, trained by a skilled hunter. It amazes me how these dogs work. Tonight, in the cold pouring down rain, this dog, named 'Tank' struck and treed about 2 miles from the truck. He had to have held this coon for over an hour as we waited and worked to him in the rain. We got the coon! Its funny about this dog...he has a very plain, non-distinct bark. When he trees however, as plain as day...his bark turns to a repetitive "HOLLA!! HOLLA!!HOLLA!!!"

Its truly hilarious. But when we hear 'HOLLA' we know to get to walking...

Anybody hunt coons over good dogs?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Bronker,

Do you do this in town or in the country

Ever hear of the 'boondocks?'

I'm just north of there! Seriously, I live out in rural Dickson Co. and I do most of my hunting on very large farms in the northern part of the county. No city coons! Of course, a friend of mine is a regional manager at McDonalds, and he has been trying to trap a 40lb coon that destroys their trash. I can see me turning out dogs downtown behind McD's!!!!

Coon hunting is a blast if you have good dogs,you have to have large tracks of land if a road or highway runs near the property a coon will run your dog in front of a car.

If there is water a coon will draw your dog out in the pond and drown him.

I tell ya what this takes me back,Im 38 and I was coon hunting deep east Texas when I was 9.We would sell the skins to the gen. store and sell the meet to the black folk

Guest Bronker

That's cool, cjr. We use the skins to train the puppies. My friend takes the carcass to the Mennonites down the road. They eat them. Not me, but I would never kill them if we weren't using them in this way. This dog is one of the best I've ever been around as far as working solo.

It is a lot of fun. Sometimes a hunt lasts only 30 minutes, with several more hours of goofing off.

Beats sitting around the house in front of the idiot box!!

That's cool, cjr. We use the skins to train the puppies. My friend takes the carcass to the Mennonites down the road. They eat them. Not me, but I would never kill them if we weren't using them in this way. This dog is one of the best I've ever been around as far as working solo.

It is a lot of fun. Sometimes a hunt lasts only 30 minutes, with several more hours of goofing off.

Beats sitting around the house in front of the idiot box!!

Where in Dickson do you hunt? I have never been and always wanted to try it.

Guest Bronker
Where in Dickson do you hunt? I have never been and always wanted to try it.

We hunt mainly around Vanleer and Cumberland Furnace. Maybe sometime we can get together and go. We usually have kids with us. Do you have any kids? I figure by keeping my 6 year old in the woods, maybe I can keep him off the streets.

We hunt mainly around Vanleer and Cumberland Furnace. Maybe sometime we can get together and go. We usually have kids with us. Do you have any kids? I figure by keeping my 6 year old in the woods, maybe I can keep him off the streets.

LOL, I have a 8 and 6 year old. I bought the oldest one a .243 for Christmas and the youngest a 22/410 we went and shot them friday and had a ball.

Guest Bronker
LOL, I have a 8 and 6 year old. I bought the oldest one a .243 for Christmas and the youngest a 22/410 we went and shot them friday and had a ball.

That's awesome! Great calibers, and great ages!

We went last night and killed a really nice 25lb boar. It was real good for the puppy we are training. We left the sow he was with in the tree.

We go pretty often, cajun, so if you would like to go, PM me some contact info and I will call you. I always take my 6 year old and a young nephew or two, so kids are not just welcome, they are encouraged! We do have a ball!!!

Your right there Bronker,Ted neugent says " Take your kids huntin so, your not huntin your kids."

Good job Bronker!!

Hunted coon many years ago. Had an old dog named Sooner. That old dog would sooner hunt than eat I think. Much fun. Now I watch them when they come to eat out of the ;)"cattle feeder":)

ray, the oldogy

We can help you with that, oldogy!

Have dogs, will travel!;)

Guest mark_justmark

Does anyone go coon hunting around Smyrna?

I've never been except when I dreamed of it as a kid after reading "Where the Red Fern Grows"

Haven't coon hunted per se but have run one out of my climbing stand I had left on a tree for a week! He seemed to like the padded seat or something!

Of course I also had a scary moment walking to a ladder stand one morning and thought I had a coon on the ground near it as I had killed and gutted a deer there the previous day. Much to my suprise, this coon had a white stripe down his back!!!! I backed off and let Pepe move on before getting in the stand.

Bronker, I don't think I'm going to deer hunt this last weekend...its left my system for the year. I'm going to do some honey do's and watch the Titan's but now we need to get down to planning that coyote drive and if you want to teach a old hunter new tricks, I'll bring a kid or two and follow you around in the night looking for coons!