Need Opinions - Affect on weapons by Dry Firing (trigger pull practice)

PAULSHOOT

I haven't even got to shoot mine yet. I want to clean it good tomorrow. I want to try it out maybe next weekend. I have read good things about this pistol and really like the look and feel of it. I hope it will be a keeper. I still love my Glock though. But for $279 I thought I'd take a chance.

On 9/3/2016 at 1:13 AM, LeeG said:

have over 60,000 rounds through this gun and 10 times as many trigger pulls in dry fire. I think I finally broke my trigger return spring around 20,000 rounds which would have been 220,000ish trigger pulls. I feel very certain you will have no issues with your firearm due to dry fire.

That is Interesting.  I did not have any idea a gun could go that many rounds.

However, I will go with MFG recommendation on my Taurus --- Don't Dry Fire It. Snap Capos aren't that expensive and they told me OK if using Snap Caps.  

This is not related to this  Dry Firing Topic (just my thoughts on the Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 that I posted in another topic). 

I am new to guns (except shotgun I have had for 62 years bought when I was 16 years old).  Just saying, I am not qualified to make a judgement. Recently (Dec 2015) got interested in shooting.

First bought a 22 Ruger (SR22 I think is model), then a BB CO2 Pistol, then a 10 Pump BB Rifle (both Crossman), then a Remington 22 Rifle with scope, then a Break Barrel Pellet.

Then  a TAURUS PT111 Millennium G2 a few months ago. I am astonished at the prices posted here for recent purchase - Normal retail price now is $199 and I paid $189 at Floyd's Golf and Guns in Sevierville, TN. (one extra clip came with it).

I like the safety items except safety has to be off to rack the slide (my 22 Ruger can be on safe), I like the feel of the grip, I like being able to fire again (double action) if there is a misfire, I like the indicator that a round is in the chamber (not that one should not check manually).    

Trigger pull is my only complaint (break over is way back and a bit high on pounds -- that said by an inexperienced pistol shooter, but confirmed on U-Tube evaluations by EXPERTS :-) ).

Long story on trigger and my inexperience - suffice to say that the difference between double action and single action led me to believe the gun was broke and I was so convinced that I convinced TAURUS to take the gun in. Fortunately, I realized with the help of the dealer that it was me (Dumb Dumb) not pulling the trigger in single action. TAKE TOO LONG to explain that, so, don't ask. :-( Anyway, it did not get sent in.

My accuracy was so much worse with the Taurus than the BB Pistol or the 22 Ruger, that I thought the gun was off (shooting left and low most rounds). Finally, read a book on Handling Handguns which stressed ACCURACY is related to TRIGGER PULL and trigger jerk can cause left and low.

Bought some snap caps and been Dry Firing a lot. Last time at range - 20 rounds from 21 feet at 4 inch target was much better. Hey, I'm not ready for competition (never will be). GROAN  The ones to the left mostly came on the last part of the 20 rounds.

Other than that -- the first time I shot the Taurus using Brass and some Steel Casing (MaxTech), I had one (1) jam and two (2) fail to loads with the steel (only shot about 40 rounds all together that day). 

Since then been shooting brass and steel (probably 250 rounds and more steel than brass) with no failures. I did clean the steel off with an alcohol rag as suggested by a bass pro Sales Person. Bought some more steel and gonna try without cleaning. Also, bought more brass.    

Edited by PAULSHOOT