Had an interesting confrontation yesterday...

My wife and I had some errands to run, last stop was Hastings to exchange a DVD rental... I was openly carrying my XD.

We spent about 30 minutes trying to decide on what to get, had a nice discussion with another woman who had the same dilemma of what to pick. No concern at all about the gun on my hip... we were all friendly and polite.

I had noticed one of the employees following me around, but avoiding eye-contact... he eventually disappeared, but saw him again running the check-out. As soon as my wife and I queued into the line, with 2 customers ahead of us, he glared at me and loudly announced

"If you're not an off-duty cop, you have to conceal that"

I was taken aback at the rudeness of his demeanor... but I calmly replied to him.

"I'm just a guy. By what law do I have to conceal?"

"I... I just thought you had to conceal..."

I took out my permit, looked apologetically at the other people in line ahead of me, and showed him that it is a 'Handgun Carry Permit', and the law makes no mention of a requirement to conceal.

After explaining this, I asked him:

"Is it store policy to request customers to conceal?"

"No, no, and I don't have any signs posted that would let me enforce it"

"Because, if it is store policy, I would be more than happy to never return"

At this point everyone in line, who he is holding up to have this conversation is looking at him, and he's getting red in the face... "I didn't think you were a threat or anything."

"That's okay" I smiled "I'm harmless".

He didn't say another word or make eye-contact with anybody as he checked everyone out, in (the now very long) line. I didn't intend to embarrass the guy, he brought it on himself... It was pretty obvious that everyone else in the store, within ear-shot, thought he was out of line.

My wife went ballistic as soon as we left the store :up:... "Did you see how he was talking to you!!!?"...

"I should call Hastings Corporate right now and let them know how they treated you!"...

I Love My Wife :up: ... She spent the next hour telling me that she wants to get her permit now, because of one Hastings' clerk's ignorance and impertinence.

"Next time I'll be right next to you with a gun on my hip, so you won't be alone..."

I wish that was a more common mentality.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid

I Love My Wife :up: ... She spent the next hour telling me that she wants to get her permit now, because of one Hastings' clerk's ignorance and impertinence.

"Next time I'll be right next to you with a gun on my hip, so you won't be alone..."

I wish that was a more common mentality.

At least one good tihng came out of that guy's idiocy.

• Administrator

I'd say two good things came of it. Next time this clerk sees someone legally carrying, maybe he'll think twice before making an ass of himself. If this was his first time ever doing it, he gets a free pass due to being ignorant of the way the law works. Now he's educated so he shouldn't repeat that mistake. :up:

Guest Engloid

He may have just confused you with a gangbanging driveby shooter type... cause don't they always carry openly on their hip? :up:

Was this in Tullahoma? Maybe I need to pickup a record or two.

That it was.

Hope to see you there sometime :up: I'll be returning to exchange the rental tomorrow evening. It ought to prove entertaining, if the same guy is there.

hmmmmm............

Maybe a trip to Tullahoma is in order later this week. Do you think that he'd be a bit surprized if I wore my 226 with my light on it in my Bladetech and 4 extra mags on the other side all for the world to see???

Sounds like you handled yourself in a very professional and polite manner. The other people in the store may have been enlightened by a good person carrying a gun.

I don't think he meant any harm, he just wanted to assert himself... sadly for him, his assertion had no merit.

I've carried every single time I've ever been in Hastings, about half the time concealed, commonly open... never before gotten a sideways look... and I know that this fellow has been there before with me there. I believe he chose that moment, with several people around, to try to intimidate me.

Why people like this get the notion to antagonize an armed person, I'll never know...

All he has done is resolve me to open-carry there as a rule. Not out of defiance, but to acclimate them to the idea that peaceable folks, good customers, are responsible for their own protection.

demon, it think the uber-tactical 226 would definitely get his attention :up: ...I think there are some new releases out...

If you were not already married to her, I'd tell you to get on your knees and propose...

Instead, get on your knees and thank whatever deity you pray to that you have her. If she really wants her permit, she can take the class from me and I'll knock 50% off the price. June 23 in Gallatin.

So, are we going to plan a TGO DVD rental outing where we all go to the Tullahoma Hastings store open carrying? Just tell me when and I'll be there! :up:

One interesting issue is raised by this experience. MANY MANY people (including some gun owners and some permit holders) do not realize the TN law allows open carry. On some long-lost thread some of us were talking about an open carry day on the hill next year with media events and the like. Here's another reason to do it -public education.

Awesome Len! Thanks!

I already mentioned your offer to her, and reminded her who you were from the Friends of the NRA meeting. She is going to check her schedule for that weekend, and let me know. I would make the drive for her to take the class from someone I know and trust. Will be in touch!

I'm up for an OC meetup at the local Hastings any time... Like I said, I'll be doing so regularly.

you know something..I wish you guys lived closer!:up:

Molonlabe, your wife sounds alot like my fiance, Julie....

When everyone came out to the shoot on the property the other weekend, Lab Rat told her (as she handed me back my m1a that we are now "sharing") ...Maam, YOU are a LADY!

Hey Tower! Sounds like you'll be needing another M1A! And LabRat sounds like he was raised up right!

-Len

you know something..I wish you guys lived closer!:D

Molonlabe, your wife sounds alot like my fiance, Julie....

When everyone came out to the shoot on the property the other weekend, Lab Rat told her (as she handed me back my m1a that we are now "sharing") ...Maam, YOU are a LADY!

hi Len,

yes...I think he was just in AWE of what she was doing to a tree.

I took her out to cherokee and she had NO trouble making a 3 inch group at 200 yards with the hooded iron sights. I think she's taken to distance shooting..but now she wants to use an AR in .308 caliber. She likes the telescoping stock, I think.

As for Dave "labrat". yah..I Like that guy. he's a bit wild..but he's got a great sense of humor and loves to shoot! anyone who brings an ak with a drum magazine to a shoot is looking to enjoy himself!

He's also got a wonderful set of manners and is not afraid to show them...so the combination is just a pleasure to be around.

Guest Kingfish
I'm up for an OC meetup at the local Hastings any time... Like I said, I'll be doing so regularly.

Set it up. I will be there.

At least you didnt shoot him.

It is a good reason to carry concealed because there is always some idiot who doesnt get it who will give you a hard time.

:D

No matter what I do, the world will always surround me with idiots. If an idiot gives me a hard time, I'll take it as a sign that I'm doing something right... Why bow to them when more timid people need an example of righteous co-jones to prompt their grasp of liberty?

I don't mean that to sound like I think supremely of myself, the point is that I don't think very highly of the opinions given by said idiots.

And no, I gave no thought to shooting him :D... Not only would that have been wrong, it would have reinforced the opinions of idiots like him.

:(

Guest GlocKingTN
He may have just confused you with a gangbanging driveby shooter type... cause don't they always carry openly on their hip? :D

And Eddie(molonlabetn) actually looks a little gang-bangish!:D j/k