Had an interesting confrontation yesterday...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to the clerk again tonight whilst checking out... I initiated by asking him if there was any bad blood over our previous encounter, in a friendly manner.

His response was curt:

"No bad blood, you just have to understand that I can't make sure everybody I see with a gun has a permit"

"I respect your concern, but you realize that's not your job...?"

"It is my responsibility to ensure the safety of my employees and customers!"

"I am responsible for my own safety, and as it stands, you have no authority over that."

"The police got called last time you were here."

"I wish you would have told me, so I could stay and talk to them."

"I understand that it's your 'right' and it's 'legal', but somebody who's not a cop carrying a gun makes people nervous."

"So if they don't see it, it's not as bad?"

And then out of the blue:

"You wouldn't carry a gun into Lowes, now would you?"

"Why yes... I was up there last week. Go there all the time, actually. What's so different about Lowes?"

"Nevermind, have a good night.... that'll be due on Thursday."

Sounds like this guy is searching for justification to make this difficult for me... So this could get interesting. I'll keep going back until they tell me not to.

Yeah... I think he knows that Hastings would not support his decision to post the store. Most back off anytime it is mentioned that all they have to do is tell the OCer that they're not welcome as a customer. That's a lose-lose situation for them.

So, as long as I'm not doing anything illegal, and the store employees are unwilling to risk the ire of corporate by expelling me, I'll continue to go about my business.

That seals it up for me. When I get a chance, I'm there with gun out in the open. I really hope that guy is there and does the same thing to me. We need to get a "Carry your gun to Hastings" day set up.

Sent an e-mail to Hasting Entertainment: service@hastings-ent.com

Sir or Ma’am,

First of all, thank you for reading this, and for your response. I am a long-time and frequent customer of the Hastings store location in Tullahoma, TN. I purchase or rent media there at least once a week, sometimes more. Getting to the point, like many law-abiding and conscientious residents of TN, I am licensed, and, carry a firearm for my personal security. The law in TN allows me to do this, specifically, whether I do so in a concealed manner, or visibly in a holster. One of your associates recently questioned this practice when I was making several purchases, and I took the time to explain the law, to ease any apprehension he might have had. My question is: does Hastings Entertainment have any policies towards customers, specifically, which are contrary to state law regarding the licensed, legal possession of firearms for self-defense on store premises? Like any business, I am of course aware; the right is reserved to eject any person who poses an un-desirable element to the atmosphere of the store. What I want to know is, if Hastings Entertainment holds a policy towards the legal possession of firearms, absent any disturbing behavior by the persons themselves?

Thank you again for your time,

- molonlabetn -

Tullahoma, TN

(931) xxx-xxxx

I will post any response I receive, as soon as I receive it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, keep up the good fight

and ask them why they quit carring any books worth reading that I don't already own...

The last three books I tried to buy there would not be delived to the Tullahoma store until they had been on the market for 3 months. And of course I wanted them the day they were released, silly me. :D

So I use online stores or just drive to Chattanooga. But it would be worth going back just to see the clerks face when several gentlemen and ladies show up legally armed. :D