I've pretty much decided..well..been given permission to get a suppressor(s) added to me collection.

My thinking, flawed as it might be is as follows:

1 .45 can and 1 5.56 can. That way as time and money permits I can use the can with different guns.

The 1st .45 will be my G21SF, then I'll work on getting barrels for my 1911s. I think the Glock will take an aftermarket barrel with less fuss than the 1911s.

While I'm at it, I might as well get at least one AR canned as well. I'm thinking about some of the QD models that have the adapters that stay on the gun. That would seem to be the most cost effective way to handle it. I can get adapters on various guns and swap the can between. This will also alow me to suppress my SBR when the time/money comes for that build.

I'm not sure on brands, I'm leaning toward AAC or Gemtech, but that's wide open still.

What's your opinion? Is there a huge difference in the various brands? I've signed up for silencertests.com, but I haven't been "approved" yet.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gemtech "Black Side" is an excellent can for the .45. Very light and quiet.

The Gemtech "G-5" for the 5.56 is one to check out as well. Features a flash hider coupler and is one of the lightest AR cans on the market. Can't be beat for less than $900.

While I'm at it, I might as well get at least one AR canned as well. I'm thinking about some of the QD models that have the adapters that stay on the gun. That would seem to be the most cost effective way to handle it. I can get adapters on various guns and swap the can between. This will also alow me to suppress my SBR when the time/money comes for that build.

I'm not sure on brands, I'm leaning toward AAC or Gemtech, but that's wide open still.

What's your opinion? Is there a huge difference in the various brands?

Both are good just pick the mount you like better. There are a couple other things to consider with the AAC QD's as far as size and performance you'll just have to read up and decide what works for you.

Also, buy something in stock or make sure it is ready to ship - not "in production, almost ready, blah, blah, blah") DO NOT fall for it.

Check out http://www.silencertalk.com, they are a great resource for information.

They will promote AAC heavily but I have had a really positive expierence with Gemtech. I went to the Gemtech booth at the S.A.R. show in Phoenix and the guy gave me a factory threaded Ruger barrel for 60 bucks! I also like Elite Iron out of Arizona. Suppresors are like pringles after the first round pop you just can't stop.

Just my input.

Suppressed .45 pistols are still pretty loud when shot dry. Try to find somebody with one and hear it being shot just so you know what you're getting into. Plus side is that all off the shelf .45 should stay subsonic.

For a first time suppressor I would recommend 9mm or .22. Specifically check out an SWR Trident-9. It is a very versatile can that has several mount types. Booster, 3-lug, etc... Down side to 9mm is that most off the shelf ammo is NOT subsonic. There are some manufacturers whose 145 or 147 gr stuff does stay subsonic.

Guest VolGrad
Just my input.

Suppressed .45 pistols are still pretty loud when shot dry. Try to find somebody with one and hear it being shot just so you know what you're getting into. Plus side is that all off the shelf .45 should stay subsonic.

For a first time suppressor I would recommend 9mm or .22. Specifically check out an SWR Trident-9. It is a very versatile can that has several mount types. Booster, 3-lug, etc... Down side to 9mm is that most off the shelf ammo is NOT subsonic. There are some manufacturers whose 145 or 147 gr stuff does stay subsonic.

I agree with this post wholeheartedly. I have tried cans on ARs and .45acp pistols and just didn't feel they were worth the cash for the average Joe not kicking in doors for a living.

I went with a .22lr can and would consider a 9mm for my next one.

Guest gcrookston

I picked up a YHM Cobra M2 for my USP Tactical last fall. It cycles properly (the booster is an option on GemTech), with no change in Zero.

I liked it so much I ordered their Phantom for 7.62 which can also be used on 5.56. The can is in and I'm just waiting on the BATF to finish the paperwork.

Guest Traumaslave

A good friend of mine told me not to get a 5.56 can. He explained (1) hard to find/load subsonic rounds and (2) those rounds won't penetrate a phone book @ 50 feet. Besides the cool factor, seems like a big waste of $$ to me.

Guest Astra900

I was thinking of investing in a suppressor for my Bushmaster this fall. I admit I know nothing about them. What happens if you use regular velocity ammunition in them? I really want it for my wife. Her eyes are very reactive to the concussive pressures from centerfire rifles. I could care less if it silenced anything. It would be worth the $$$ and effort to give her a comfortable time at the range.

Can someone who owns/has used a suppressed Ar give me any info, please?

A good friend of mine told me not to get a 5.56 can. He explained (1) hard to find/load subsonic rounds and (2) those rounds won't penetrate a phone book @ 50 feet. Besides the cool factor, seems like a big waste of $$ to me.

You can ring steel out to some good distances with subsonic 5.56, and you can definately penetrate phone books at 50 feet. I do agree that subsonic 5.56 is harder to find if you're not hand loading. I don't recommend a 5.56 can as your first purchase because other options are cheaper, more versatile, and quieter. Suppressed 5.56 definately has its place though.

I was thinking of investing in a suppressor for my Bushmaster this fall. I admit I know nothing about them. What happens if you use regular velocity ammunition in them? I really want it for my wife. Her eyes are very reactive to the concussive pressures from centerfire rifles. I could care less if it silenced anything. It would be worth the $$$ and effort to give her a comfortable time at the range.

Can someone who owns/has used a suppressed Ar give me any info, please?

Any ammunition that is supersonic will emmit a 'CRACK' when it breaks the sound barrier. A silencer does not eliminate this.

For just getting rid of concussive pressures perceivable to the shooter you might look at some of the various breaks/compensators on the market. I'm not as up to speed on these products, but it seems like a lot of people like the SureFire models. This will definately be cheaper than a suppressor, but a suppressor will sure do a better job.

Guest Astra900

A muzzle break won't cut it. I've tried a few, she's a .....special circumstance case.

The crack I understand. It the sound barrier being broken. Got it. What kind of noise reduction for the shooter could I expect. Again, I'm not trying for ninja stealth here, I'm looking for maximum shooter comfort here. I know $1000-1500 is a lot to spend just for that, and seems trivial or silly to all us super macho he-man types, but it's a small price to pay to keep my little lady from giving up on shooting anything bigger than a .22LR.

This problem is a recent development. For years she shot a .308 heavy barrel target rifle with no problem, but in the last few years, she has really taken to spells of headaches and dizziness from the *umph* you get when you touch one off. If this works out, i may even consider sending our heavy barreled Ruger out to be threaded and buy a suppressor for it too.

Some folks shoot suppressed 5.56/.223 with no ear protection. If I'm the shooter and am shooting more than a round or two I still like to put plugs in. If you are a bystander, then I think it is hearing safe. The 'crack' occurs far enough down range to not be a real bother, it just takes away some of the cool factor. There are a lot of options for 5.56 cans and several factors to take into account.

Weight/length - If this is just on a bench gun, then neither of those matter a whole lot. Usually the larger the can, the better the suppression. More internal volume also decreases the gasses expelled back into the shooters direction.

Attachment method - Fast Attach is cool and convenient, but more costly. Once again, if this is just going to go on some guns used at the range, then thread mount will be less expensive.

Full Auto capable - A full auto rated can will be more expensive because the materials used are more expensive.

Take a look at these few links for good rather affordable options:

http://www.advancedarmament.com/ranger_2.asp

www.libertycans.net - Great custom work.

http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/phantom556.html

Guest Astra900

Thanks! She shoots off a bench or a bipod and the hood a truck:) Weight is not a real factor. If we can get full power .223 down to .22lr "feel behind the wheel" We are good.

Guest Astra900
I think we should schedule a suppressor range/demo day this Spring.

We have NEVER demo'd a suppressor to a serious customer that didnt end up buying one :confused:

I'd make the drive and supply the ammo, if you would let my wife try one. If she likes it, it would be cash up front, no questions or BS from me.:2cents:

I'd make the drive and supply the ammo, if you would let my wife try one.

x2

Minus a wife.

How well would that YHM phantom work with the 5.56 of you got it in the 7.62 caliber?

That would seem to be the best route so long as it worked ok on the small calibers. I could get it then swap it between my 7.62 savage, lr-308 and ar-15.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Mike